Mavericks allows MBP 13 to use 1 GB VRAM HD4000

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davy.Shalom, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

So I installed Mavericks and saw this image. This is pretty cool! I wonder if allowing OS X to access more VRAM will affect noticeably affect performance in applications that are GPU intensive.

Attached Files:

2. Treeman574 macrumors regular

Interesting. On 10.8 it's listed as 384mb, so this could be a significant improvement.

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

For me it lists 512 MB. Quite odd, how did the OS get an extra .5 GB to use? :eek:

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Just outta curiosity, do you have the same exact Mac as the OP? Same processor speed, 16GB Ram, Mavericks?

I'm curious if Processor Speed makes a difference, even though it shouldn't.

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

No, I have the base cMBP. 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM, Mountain Lion.

6. DavidG328 macrumors regular

Interesting, just noticed the same on mine. Base 13" 2012 model, and it has 1 GB now.

7. durkkin macrumors regular

Same with my rMBP with 8GB RAM. Must be part of the compressed memory and the more responsive VRAM/GPU they were talking about yesterday. All they did was allow the GPU to access more of the system memory, which is purely a software thing. Don't know how it will affect gaming, but it will certainly improve rendering and OpenCL tasks.

8. leman macrumors 604

Its just a driver improvement. The concept of VRAM is quite pointless in regards to the iGPU. I assume that the old driver was sometimes performing redundant memory copies, while the 10.9 driver reduces the numbers of such copies to bare minimum.

9. LYFK macrumors regular

I just noticed the same thing with my 13"MBA 8GB, that's great! I'm almost regretting buying a new 15" rMBP... almost...

10. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

During the event was said that OS 10.9 will allocate up to 1 gb VRAM to an integrated GPU. How much VRAM is allocated depends on how much VRAM is needed. So the VRAM of the integrated GPU will vary in OS 10.9 with a maximum of 1 gb.

11. OverpricedJunk macrumors newbie

wait a second... isn't the difference between the Intel iris and the iris pro more vram? Does that mean that we could be seeing iris pro-like performance with the Intel iris integrated graphics?

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No the difference is not VRAM. What people mean by VRAM is dedicated memory space for GPU operations. Storing textures, framebuffer and so on. The Iris Pro has a 128MB cache that simple helps reduce the load on bandwidth of the main memory. It has nothing to do with size.
    How much VRAM you set aside for a iGPU is just a decision that should never affect performance. It used to be fixed so at times a too big part was set aside for it while at other times some gpu stuff could have used more. Now a game can simply load textures and the VRAM will grow as required while not taking too much space when all it has to do is handle a couple of Windows on the Desktop.

13. OverpricedJunk macrumors newbie