Mavericks and 4Gb??

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by gguerini, Oct 23, 2013.

1. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

I'm about to buy a new Macbook. I'm debating between the Macbook Air 13' 1.3GHz with 8GB RAM and the new Macbook Pro 13' (retina) 2.5GHz with 4GB.

I'm a web developer and spend most of my time on terminal and a text editor. I have a lot of tabs open on Chrome/Safari all the time. My current Macbook Air has 8GB and I'm usually using more than 4GB.

But, apparently Mavericks is better with memory management so maybe I'd be ok with only 4GB. I'm not sure.

What do you guys thinking? Have you been using Mavericks with 4GB? How is it?

The Macbook Pro processor is much better than the Air. And it comes with a Retina display swell. :p

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Since you can't upgrade the RAM in the retina MacBook Pros, I would recommend going with 8GB.

Yes memory management is better, but the question is how much more than 4GB were you using? And some applications use more memory when they get updated.

3. odin macrumors member

I agree with Bear. If you can possibly swing it, I'd get the MBP with 8 upgrade. I know that's more money, but I don't think you'd be disappointed if you can find a way to swing it.

4. mwa Suspended

mwa

My feedback for what it's worth: My 4GB MPB (the last 17" they made) is handling 10.9 very well.

However, if you're buying new, go for more RAM. It might be a smidge cheaper to buy it from a third party though.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Can't upgrade the memory MBAirs or rMBP after you buy them so there is no third party option for them, which is why I strongly suggested 8GB.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Get 8gb. Even if 4 is good for the next two years or so you will want 8 in 3-4 years.

7. mwa Suspended

mwa

ah right. Well said. :)