Mavericks and data loss on WD drives

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by opinio, Oct 30, 2013.

1. opinio macrumors 65816

This email just came through from WD:

***** PLEASE DO NOT REPY TO THIS EMAIL ****

Dear WD Registered Customer,

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer.

The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software applications are not new and have been available from WD for many years, however solely as a precaution WD has removed these applications from our website as we investigate this issue. .

Sincerely,
    Western Digital

2. amoergosum macrumors 6502

So WD sent out that message to their registered customers but hasn't put it on their front page...pathetic.

3. josh.b macrumors regular

I am using an old WD passbook 320GB no issues. It is currently formatted under Ex-FAT since I took it overseas to use on a windows laptop. I know that I had to hide it from spotlight since it is not OS X Journaled but other than that I have had zero issues. I don't use any of that WD bloatware crap though.

4. opinio thread starter macrumors 65816

Latest:

**** Please do NOT reply to this email ****

UPDATE: November 1st, 2013

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks and are experiencing difficulty in accessing your external hard drive, please do not save anything to the drive, disconnect the drive from your computer, and contact Western Digital Customer Service at http://support.wd.com/country/ for further assistance.

The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software applications are not new and have been available from WD for many years. However, solely as a precaution WD has removed these applications from our website as we investigate this issue.

Sincerely,
    Western Digital

5. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Moral of the story:

1. Get your own reliable drive, and a separate reliable enclosure… :p:p
    2. Do not upgrade OS X until it reaches .2 update… Better still .5… Newest is buggiest…!

6. CraigJ macrumors member

Yes, because all non WD RAID enclosures and managed drives are 100% bug free.

I usually update to new version of OS X on the day of availability (since 10.6) and I've never had a major issue. In fact, the only issues I've ever encountered are incompatible software, and that only happened this last time with DoubleCommand. The replacement is better anyway.

Now, if you were talking about Windows or DOS, that used to be problematic. I upgraded a friends computer to DOS 4 for them and it destroyed their computer, and Windows Me, and Vista were complete disasters

7. opinio thread starter macrumors 65816

Latest:

**** Please do NOT reply to this email ****

On October 30th, 2013 Western Digital informed registered customers of affected products via E-mail regarding reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9). Our investigation to date has found that for a small percentage of customers that have the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and/or WD SmartWare software applications installed on their Mac, there can be cases of a repartition and reformat of their Direct Attached Storage (DAS) devices without customer acknowledgement which can result in data loss.

WD has been tracking this issue closely through our WD Forum and through our Technical Support hotline and the occurrence rate of this event has been very low. A specific set of conditions and timing sequences between the OS and the WD software utilities has to occur to cause this issue. Should this event occur, the data on the product can likely be recovered with a third party software utility if the customer stops using the device immediately after the OS X Mavericks (10.9) upgrade. WD will be issuing updated versions of these software applications that resolve this issue.

WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading until we provide an update to the applications. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks and are experiencing difficulty in accessing your external hard drive, please do not save anything to the drive, disconnect the drive from your computer, and contact Western Digital Customer Service at http://support.wd.com/country/.

Sincerely,
    Western Digital

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

In nearly all cases, format a usb flash drive or external hard drive to remove the bloat that comes pre-installed.

9. TrashCanBin macrumors regular

There wouldn't be a problem if those applications were normal native application that follow all programming guidlines.

What we get is 3rd rate crap which is so convoluted even advanced users scratch their heads.

10. jqworle macrumors newbie

Luckily i never installed any of the WD software and my MBLD 4TB has been fine with no access issues or corruption.
    The WD software has always been crap even on a firewire disk i had, it would prevent time machine doing backups to an apple time capsule until i removed the software.

11. adamneer macrumors 6502

You might be right with point number 2 but I'm truly tired of seeing this post in every response of Mavericks issue threads. As if any problems are going to get resolved if everyone just waited until the second release anyway, seeing as the problem reports are what goes into the fixes of v.1 software. Not to mention that this is the Mavericks sub forum, so this sort of response is truly unhelpful.

As for your first point, I believe you may be incorrect. I just set up my own custom RAID 0 using a Nexstar enclosure and 2 brand new Seagate Barracuda drives and even went through the trouble of zeroing out each drive before partitioning them. After completing the RAID configuration and transferring 2TB of files from another drive, all the transferred data just disappeared from the RAID. It was there one minute, gone the next. Reading some of the reports from the WD customers, I noticed the very same symptoms, ie. no files, folders or anything listed in finder. So I believe there might be more to this RAID issue than simply being caused by WD firmware.