Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I am sitting here just itching to update my 2 iMac 2011 computers. But am concerned about my HP 1606dn printer. HP was not very quick to issue drivers for Mountain Lion (not even sure they have yet) and the only reason it worked was that the printer was installed under Lion. Anyone having issues with HP printers and Mavericks? Might this be the same situation.. it's already installed and it will just work?
Also have an Epson Workforce 545 that could potentially have an issue. And an old HP 2420, but I think that one just uses whatever driver Apple has installed. It does not seem to be too picky.
Appreciate your thoughts and experiences with printers after upgrading.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I am sitting here just itching to update my 2 iMac 2011 computers. But am concerned about my HP 1606dn printer. HP was not very quick to issue drivers for Mountain Lion (not even sure they have yet) and the only reason it worked was that the printer was installed under Lion. Anyone having issues with HP printers and Mavericks? Might this be the same situation.. it's already installed and it will just work?
Also have an Epson Workforce 545 that could potentially have an issue. And an old HP 2420, but I think that one just uses whatever driver Apple has installed. It does not seem to be too picky.
Appreciate your thoughts and experiences with printers after upgrading.

I saw an update right away for HP compatibility when I checked for software updates after installing Mavericks. Haven't actually tried printing yet, but will once I get home from work today. If you like I'll give you an update.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I saw an update right away for HP compatibility when I checked for software updates after installing Mavericks. Haven't actually tried printing yet, but will once I get home from work today. If you like I'll give you an update.
Yes.. appreciate an update.
Love keeping my computers up to date, but certainly want to avoid major headache of printers not working.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Yes.. appreciate an update.
Love keeping my computers up to date, but certainly want to avoid major headache of printers not working.

You got it. Keep in mind that everyone's experience has the possibility of differing, but at the very least it'll give you an idea of the risks associated with upgrading. :) I'll be sure to let you know.

jayes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Printers on Mavericks

I posted the initial question and thought I would come back to share my experience with the printers after I upgraded to Mavericks in case others are wondering about compatiblity of their printers. (Thank you Guitarman777 for offering to update on your printers. I could not wait! It was a slow day with nothing to do.)

A little background. I have two identical iMacs and only upgraded the secondary computer so far. I have four printers attached to my network, one is wireless (epson), one is on the router (1606dn) and two older ones are attached by USB to the primary computer. (HP 2420 and Canon ip4700.

HP 1606dn - on router - worked immediately

Epson Workforce 545 - printed immediately. I have not tried scanning as I have never had it set to scan on the network

HP 2420 :( Not so good.

Canon ip4700 :( Not so good.

Both the 2420 and the ip4700 tried to print, but it kept saying it could not find the printer.

Called Apple support since I have Apple Care and they directed me to HP and Canon saying if the companies had not given Apple drivers for Mavericks, I needed to contact them directly. But the tech kindly gave me his direct line to get back to him if I got the run around. (That is why I love apple tech support!! They follow through)

But before suggesting I call HP, the tech had me remove the HP, which I did, and try to reinstall it. The computer did not see it any more. I tried several times, but the large box that came up only listed the two printers I had already installed and that were working. There was no option for NEARBY PRINTERS as suggested.

While I was on hold with HP while they looked for someone who could help, I was playing around with the printer setup and all of a sudden.. a different smaller box popped up when I clicked the + sign to add a printer and it showed NEARBY PRINTERS. By adding the two non working printers, I am now able to print on both.

But I cannot figure out why the type of pop-up box keeps changing. You'd think that by clicking the + sign, it would bring up a consistent dialog box.

Anyway.. the point of this long winded comment is that all four printers attached to my secondary machine are working under Mavericks. I probably won't be upgrading the primary machine for a few more days. Enough drama for one day! I think the reason I was able to get them to print is that they were installed under Lion. I have a feeling a new install might not work.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I posted the initial question and thought I would come back to share my experience with the printers after I upgraded to Mavericks in case others are wondering about compatiblity of their printers. (Thank you Guitarman777 for offering to update on your printers. I could not wait! It was a slow day with nothing to do.)

A little background. I have two identical iMacs and only upgraded the secondary computer so far. I have four printers attached to my network, one is wireless (epson), one is on the router (1606dn) and two older ones are attached by USB to the primary computer. (HP 2420 and Canon ip4700.

HP 1606dn - on router - worked immediately

Epson Workforce 545 - printed immediately. I have not tried scanning as I have never had it set to scan on the network

HP 2420 :( Not so good.

Canon ip4700 :( Not so good.

Both the 2420 and the ip4700 tried to print, but it kept saying it could not find the printer.

Called Apple support since I have Apple Care and they directed me to HP and Canon saying if the companies had not given Apple drivers for Mavericks, I needed to contact them directly. But the tech kindly gave me his direct line to get back to him if I got the run around. (That is why I love apple tech support!! They follow through)

But before suggesting I call HP, the tech had me remove the HP, which I did, and try to reinstall it. The computer did not see it any more. I tried several times, but the large box that came up only listed the two printers I had already installed and that were working. There was no option for NEARBY PRINTERS as suggested.

While I was on hold with HP while they looked for someone who could help, I was playing around with the printer setup and all of a sudden.. a different smaller box popped up when I clicked the + sign to add a printer and it showed NEARBY PRINTERS. By adding the two non working printers, I am now able to print on both.

But I cannot figure out why the type of pop-up box keeps changing. You'd think that by clicking the + sign, it would bring up a consistent dialog box.

Anyway.. the point of this long winded comment is that all four printers attached to my secondary machine are working under Mavericks. I probably won't be upgrading the primary machine for a few more days. Enough drama for one day! I think the reason I was able to get them to print is that they were installed under Lion. I have a feeling a new install might not work.

Glad everything's working! Yeah, the number of different ways to connect to each peripheral gets dizzying. I had a similar issue related to Java where I downloaded Java 7 directly from the Java website, but a system message kept popping up saying I needed to download and install the Java 6 runtime. I kept ignoring it until an AppleCare agent (THEY'RE FRICKIN AWESOME) recommended I go ahead and install it the next time I see it, as there was no way for me to specifically track down the installer for it. :confused: Bizarre.

For what it's worth, no problems printing to my HP Officejet 8600. :D Even the utility is working flawlessly.

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
Printing Issues with HP 3310 all-in-One

Just a brief outline - printer is linked to two machines - one windows and one mac - prints fine from the windows with no issues. However - since installing mavericks - the mac prints fine from initial instruction BUT then goes and does its own thing!! After about 30 seconds it pulls in a single sheet - then freezes for 2-3 minutes before printing a single sheet with "2" or "2345X" on top right corner.
i have rung apple care - checked system all seems ok - turned everything off, printer, router Pc and Mac reboots etc etc - still does the same - they suggested contact HP - upgraded the drivers - did that - machine no longer covered as over 5 years old!! it driving me nuts!!!:mad:

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.