Mavericks and iMac late 2013

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by soomster, Sep 27, 2013.

1. soomster macrumors regular

soomster

I'm going to buy iMac late 2013, if I buy it next week it will come with Mountain Lion, but if I wait until next month it's likely to come with Mavericks. The question is, if I buy one next week do I have to buy Mavericks or will I receive a free upgrade?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

If mavericks comes out within about 1 month of your purchase you will likely receive it for free. If it comes out over a month after your purchase you will have to buy mavericks.

This is all assuming they keep the same guidelines as the up-to-date program from last year.

3. KaraH macrumors 6502

Although unless they suddenly charge more most of the applications you have bought cost more than the OS will.

4. soomster thread starter macrumors regular

soomster

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I'm waiting for 10.9 until i buy.

i didn't want to do the upgrade from 10.8 and inherent junk/issues in a brand new high spec system i'll be investing in. It's about hardware as much as software config so i'll be doing a clean install.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Last year when Mountain Lion came out Apple gave it to you free if you had purchased a Mac within the last six weeks. I suspect they will do the same this time.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

There are no "inherent junk/issues" in installing one version of OS X in place of another.
    I've installed every version of OS X since 10.3 on top of an existing OS, and migrated my data across four computers without any problems. Is there some vestigial remnant of 10.2 on my current Mac? I couldn't possibly tell.

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I'm talking from my experience of clean installs vs upgrades of which, i've done many. It's only my opinion. Maybe you've been lucky without slowdowns, crashes or other random issues. I have a LOAD of applications so not taking the risk. I can wait 3 weeks or so.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

There's a certain value in having it come with purchase, but I also like having the OS on my Mac App Store history, with the ability to download it to any machine my ID is attached to. And it's such a small charge for the privaledge. To say nothing of the cost of depriving myself a machine I'm ready to buy weeks earlier.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

That's the problem. Some of us have done so many for so long we think we still need to. :D There was a time when i shared your philosophy. I blame this OCD behavior on my Windows days.

There's still a place for a clean install but I find most people bring this burden onto themselves by installing 3rd party system-altering crapware and by basically trying to get OSX to do what it really doesn't need to do.