Mavericks And VE Pro 5

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by fastlanephil, Nov 29, 2013.

1. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I just got a Mac Mini 2.6 with the Fusion drive, running Mavericks and down loaded Vienna Symphonic Instruments VE Pro 5 demo. When I attempt to start the Vienna Ensemble Pro Server software, 32-bit or 64-bit on the MacMini it immediately crashes. I moved the eLicenser dongle to my iMac that is still running Mountain Lion and it loads with no issues.

I posted the issue on the VSL forum and they said VE Pro 5 is totally compatible with Mavericks. I repaired disk permissions and reset the PRAM on the Mac Mini but the VE Pro Server software is still crashing.

Is anyone using this software with Mavericks with success?

2. koban4max macrumors 68000

get logic.

3. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Logic Pro is a host application. VE Pro 5 works within Logic Pro and other DAW hosts using an ethernet connection between two computers or running on a single computer.

4. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I upgraded to Mavericks on my iMac and Vienna Ensemble Pro Server has no issues with it. I also reinstalled Mavericks on the Mac Mini but I'm still getting the hard crash.

I've also had a few issues with screen distortion of the Dock and the display which I fixed by tossing the plist file so I'm thinking it might be defective memory.

I purchased the Mac Mini from the Apple Store so I'll be taking it to a local Apple store for a refund or CTO exchange.

5. miscend macrumors member

Could be the fusion drive!

Trying running VE Pro from an external USB drive.

6. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

OK. I tried running VE Pro from my iMac's external FW800 back up drive and it still crashes. :(

7. koban4max macrumors 68000

return your mac.:p

8. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Did just that but my 2009 MacBook Pro also crashes trying to load the VE Pro5 Server. I left the VE Pro Folder on the desktop so the Apple folks will hopefully crash it also.

I upgraded my iMac to Mavericks and VE Pro 5 still loads without crashing. :confused:

One difference between the iMac and the Mac Mini and MacBook Pro is that the the iMac has 24GB of memory and the other have 4GB. But I don't see why that would matter.

VSL finally requested a crash log which I sent them and I now have a case number with a promise to get back with me soon. :)

9. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

With help from VSL reading the crash log I realized that I had dragged over the installed VE Pro 5 folder from my iMac to my other Macs instead of the VE Pro 5 installer pkg. which has all the needed system files. :eek:

10. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

so with VEP5 it's all good?

I'm in the middle of doing a system-wide upgrade from 10.6.8 (where everything, for a good while, worked flawlessly) onto new drives (so i can go back to my everything-working if i have to).

11. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

It looks to be so. It should be fine and it looks like a OSX 10.9.1 update is coming soon also.

The only problem I've heard about is with the Tascam audio device drivers and a problem with Sibelius which Avid says they won't fix until the next version of Sibelius is released. I wonder really about that one.