Mavericks as Main OS

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Sam Henri, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Sam Henri macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 9,2 (Announced at WWDC 2012) running Mountain Lion. Should I install Mavericks as my main OS? It is stable enough to actually run FCPX and Photoshop?

Thanks!
    Sam

2. nyolc8 macrumors regular

I say, if you work with it, then don't use a DP OSX as main OS. Maybe you could try to install it on a second partition, then you can test Mavericks and you have a stable (Mountain Lion) OS too for work.

3. Bear macrumors G3

It's not recommended to be installed on your main use system. It's for developers to test and fix their applications.

4. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

As the others have said, if you need to be able to use certain applications, don't install a beta like Mavericks on your machine as your primary OS.

5. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Install on a external drive or VM. Or partition your drive.

6. nalk7 macrumors regular

Its fine for daily use. I started out by installing it on a separate partition and worked fine, then made another partition and imported my backup, and it ran so well I decided to install it on my main account. No complaints, I say go for it.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

That's terrible advice for a computer used for work. There's no telling what bugs may appear in upcoming preview releases, or the current one.

8. Bear macrumors G3

But are you running the same software that the OP asked about? Apparently in another thread, someone was reporting issues with Adobe CS6 which could mean that the OP would have issues with Photoshop on Mavericks.

9. nalk7 macrumors regular

I haven't used FCPX in a while, but CS6 is running perfect. Cheers.

10. nalk7 macrumors regular

Backup, backup, backup. Better safe than sorry in case of these emergencies. The second partition in which I loaded a copy of my main account was to test if the things I need are working properly, and indeed they are, haven't had a crash since DP2. Cheers.

11. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

As long as you have some sort of backup I'd say go ahead. I've been using it since day one, haven't run into any serious problems or anything that would force me to downgrade.

12. Galaxas0 macrumors regular

I'm a developer, so I'm using it as my main OS for development. If you're not a developer, I suggest you stay miles away from using it as your main.

A few issues:
    - OS X pages out 22GB on "collabd" if you're OS X Server.
    - Launchd complains every 5 seconds, filling up gigabytes of space a day.
    - Everything randomly crashes after a while of usage.
    - Shutdown is delayed over a minute.

13. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I've always used beta OS' as my main partition, but thats because I love testing out new OS releases, despite them being in beta.

As long as you have a Time Machine backup you'll be alright, don't let people scare you too much, nothing really truly can go wrong unless you don't have files backed up often.

But obviously crashes are to be expected, so If you're working on Adobe applications be sure to save them frequently, otherwise you can potentially lose some of your progress on work.

Again, nothing real can go wrong (causing you to brick a mac), and that's because when you're installing an OS, you're not modifying EFI or SMC firmware, just installing an OS on your hard drive, so it's not like your Mac will explode to bits and you'll die :p.

My advice would be try it on another partition and see how it goes, good luck!

14. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Mavericks is plenty fine for daily use in my own testing.

But your mileage may vary, and it could be terrible for you. So be diligent with backups, prepare for some bumps along the way, and you'll be fine!

15. jb510 macrumors regular

jb510

This.

While some might be able to use it as a main os. I've been running it on a dev machine and have seen more than enough problems with apps to keep me from putting it on my primary machine.

MS Word got totally corrupted after a couple days, had to wipe prefences and reinstall
    F.Lux had a memory leak that slowly brought everything to a crawl after about 6 hours of uptime
    Photoshop CS6 is fine, Illustrator won't launch
    Time Machine works locally (FireWire) but corrupts the sparsebundle on my NAS after 1 to 48 hours, forcing a delete backup history and start over.
    Mail seems to NOT want to archive/delete my gmail messages until I tell it to twice.
    Transmit (FTP) crashes no fatally frequently every few minutes
    My system error logs are hardly usable there are so many warnings about deprecated functions... and yes they fill quickly and I delete them daily.

But hey... go ahead put on your daily driver. As with any beta YMMV, maybe none of that matters to your usage. Most of those things though didn't show up for me until 3-4 days so don't think 5 minutes of test is going to tell you "it all good".

16. UnalignedByte macrumors newbie

I'm using DP 2, used DP 1. I've also used developer preview of mountain lion and must say that I'm very, positively surprised. For a in-development software it works very good. Photoshop CS 6 works just fine.

Some things are funky, for example Skype is unusable, Safari sometimes goes on strike, OS X crashed once on me and windows sometimes show up in wrong virtual desktops.

I'm using it on white MacBook 2010 as my main os. If you're not scared of a weird behavior from time to time, then try it out. I just think that if you're not a developer wanting to try new Xcode and APIs in 10.9 and iOS 7 then there is no really a point, as the OS is almost identical to Mountain Lion from user perspective.

17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No.

18. leman macrumors 604

I've been using it as my main OS since the WWDC. Apart from some small problems with certain applications (like the newest Skype), it is as stable as Mountain Lion and feels more responsive overall.

Anyway, because its a preview, I wouldn't recommend you installing it on your work machine.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you use it for work, I wouldn't touch a beta OS for production. If something goes wrong, where are you?

Put it on an external HDD if you want to experiment.