Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

townsend2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Ok, try THIS one out!

I want 10.6.8 and Win7 64-bit sitting next to each other on a HDD.

But Win7 64-bit needs Bootcamp 5. Bootcamp 5 needs Mavericks. So...

If I install mavericks over my 10.6.8. Then use BC5 to install my Win7 64-bit. Then clone my backup of 10.6.8 back onto the Mavericks partition....

Will it blend?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Windows 7 requires Boot Camp 4, which should be fine if you attempt to run BCA in Snow Leopard.

townsend2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned that I have a MBP Early 2011. According to this article,
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634 ,
I would need Bootcamp 5 to install the 64-bit version.

And then Bootcamp 5 won't work on 10.6 if I understand correctly...

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Why do you think Snow Leopard isn't supported?
I think the 4 and the 5 refer to driver packages that you install in Windows to support the Mac hardware.
If that's the case then it shouldn't matter which version of OS X you're running.
You just run Bootcamp assistant and it will download the latest drivers available.
Then install Windows 7 64 and lastly install the Windows drivers.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1519/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If that's the case then it shouldn't matter which version of OS X you're running.
You just run Bootcamp assistant and it will download the latest drivers available.
Then install Windows 7 64 and lastly install the Windows drivers.

The old Bootcamp Assistant in 10.6.x won't download the latest Bootcamp drivers, but they are available as a standalone download from Apple. Those drivers are independent of which, if any, version of OS X is installed.

townsend2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
"Boot Camp 5.1 requires OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 or later."
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

Whew, that was not easy to find, but I knew that I had read it during my research.

chrfr, but aside from the drivers, I will still need Bootcamp 5 to install Win7 64-bit, according to the apple page, right?

Or are you saying that people install later versions of Windows with unsupported Bootcamps, provided that they download the right drivers?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
chrfr, but aside from the drivers, I will still need Bootcamp 5 to install Win7 64-bit, according to the apple page, right?

Or are you saying that people install later versions of Windows with unsupported Bootcamps, provided that they download the right drivers?

The Boot Camp drivers are purely Windows software, so you can install them and they'll be fine with 10.6.x.
It's been a while since I've used 10.6.8 but I'm pretty sure it doesn't care which version of Windows disc you have when you set up the partition. It won't harm anything to try, though do be sure you have a backup. Any time you repartition a disk, things can go wrong.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Snow Leopard hasn't gotten the last security patches from Apple. Basically Snow Leopard is unsupported now, and a security liability.

That said, for booting windows it shouldn't matter much what OS X you have installed.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Ok, try THIS one out!

I want 10.6.8 and Win7 64-bit sitting next to each other on a HDD.

But Win7 64-bit needs Bootcamp 5. Bootcamp 5 needs Mavericks. So...

If I install mavericks over my 10.6.8. Then use BC5 to install my Win7 64-bit. Then clone my backup of 10.6.8 back onto the Mavericks partition....

Will it blend?

Is it solved? Anyway, why not install Mavericks?

townsend2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
My rig is in the shop right now, and it will be another couple of days before I get her back.

I AM going to (permanently) install Mavericks, but on my SSD in the Optibay. I need 10.6.8 for various reasons. And I need the install disc + superdrive to install win 7, etc. I only have so much patience for all the workarounds, and I already put my superdrive back in for the service.

I will definitely post my results, once it get it back. I appreciate all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.