Mavericks Clean Install - Includes iLife? eBay Sales Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kelmon, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hi Guys,

This kinda came up in another thread I replied to and I'm really not sure of the answer. Back in 2010 I bought a lovely 27" iMac that came with 10.7 preinstalled and the usual Mac software, including iLife. However, I've recently bought a rMBP to replace the iMac so the old computer is now prepared for sale with a clean installation of 10.9 installed via Apple's recommended process. The thing is, when it comes to describing the sale on eBay I'm wondering what software is actually on the iMac now. Does a clean install of Mavericks, installed from the Recovery Partition, include the iLife software that came on Recovery DVD? Or does the buyer of the iMac need to buy the iLife software they want from the Mac App Store?

I'd check this stuff out myself but it's all boxed up and ready to go so I don't really want to have to set it up again unless I have to.

2. msevild macrumors regular

A clean install of Mavericks form the recovery partition will only have the operating system. iLife is not included on that and will need to be re-downloaded from the Mac App Store.

3. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

By any chance, would you know if this is something that can be done for free by the new owner, assuming that they do not have an iTunes (or whatever we are calling it these days) account yet? I'm so used to selling Macs with the same software with which they came "in the box" so that they buyer gets the same as I did that it would seem very strange to sell the iMac without iLife.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The applications are tied to your Apple ID. While you may be able to download them, I think once the new buyer creates an apple id, things get difficult.

5. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Nuts...

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

But if you have any of the old DVDs for the Mac you're selling you could give those to the seller. iLife came with every mac, and Apple's current position is that they are upgrading everyone to the 10.9 friendly versions free. But it would still have to be tied to the new owner's AppleID.

When I sell I usually install the OLD software and then let the new owner upgrade, since sometimes people buy because they actually want an earlier version (and because before the free 10.9 upgrade even the system software upgrade was a purchase personal to you).

7. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

I'm thinking that what I might do is give the buyer the choice. I'll include the disks (which I'd always do anyway) but advise in the auction text that if they want iLife installing then I'll supply the iMac with 10.7 preinstalled and then they'll have to update it to 10.9 themselves, or they can have 10.9 installed and buy the latest iLife versions from the Mac App Store.

I confess this all seems like undue hassle that I'd not considered when Apple went to digital distribution.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Restore the system with the System Restoration discs and ship it that way. Include a note about how to upgrade to Mavericks and such. Even though it's free, they still need to license Mavericks through the App store for their use.

9. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Ah, now that's a fair point that I'd not considered. Looks like I'm getting the iMac out of the box again tonight.