Mavericks Compatible Laser Printer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thelucas, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thelucas macrumors member

Greetings,

Since upgrading to Mavericks, my 2 older HP printers are not performing well (very slow printing). I've tried various fixes and none seem to work so I'm looking for some recommendations for a new laser printer.

I just need it to print crisp black and white in a timely manner on 8.5x11 paper and envelopes (doesn't have to be ultra fast). No need for scanner, fax, etc.

I'm looking for something that is economical on the front end (purchase price) and back end (toner price).

Any recommendations?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Reset your printing system, install the latest drivers, and setup the printers. We have had zero problem moving our HP color laser through the past several OX releases.

3. Giuly, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Brother HL-5450DN or HL-5470DW.
    [​IMG]

Reasonably priced, and they support AirPrint (the DN over Ethernet, the DW over Ethernet and/or WiFi).

The Brother HL-2270DW is less expensive, yet doesn't support AirPrint and the (genuine) toner costs about twice as much ($47/2,600 pages vs $75/8,000) for the high-yield cartridge as the one for the HL-54xxDx.

4. Ei kukaan macrumors newbie

Ei kukaan

I have personal experience with Brother devices for more than 5 years - they work with OS X like charm. Suggested above devices are fine.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No recommendations, but some points which are important (for me):
    • Laser or LED (i.e. no try ink or other ink problems)
    • The manufacturer should be known for his long term support (the printers from such manufacturers cost usually more than “comparable” printers from other manufacturers, but are longer usable)
    • One cartridge should be enough to print several thousand pages, and one cartridge should be included in the purchase price (Kyocera and OKI do this, AFAIK).
    • ...and everything which i forgot. ;)

6. thelucas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Fantastic Brother recommendation. I shall purchase it!

----------

How does one reset a printing system? I deleted all print drivers and tried reinstalling. I even went to the HP website for drivers but the site said that the drivers are obtained through the Mac OS updates.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Print & Scan.

Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, and choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Print & Scan preferences is empty.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have that model's baby brother (7065DN). Worked with the automatic driver installation for ML and Mavericks perfectly. :) Scanner included. I've heard several reports of printers with automatic document scanners not being able to auto-feed scan. No problems with Brother printer/scanners in that regard. It also supports duplexing.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs