Mavericks crashes within one minute after loading desktop

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by shrm03, Oct 24, 2013.

1. shrm03 macrumors member

I upgraded my work iMac to Mavericks and it crashes every time it loads the desktop. It's always within one minute but often within 10 seconds.

I reinstalled it twice to no avail. I used every Disk Utility option to check and repair the disk to no avail. I even created a small partition and did a clean install (I did import my settings and content from the old version) and the problem persists.

I have no idea what could be the problem. Disk utility days the disk is perfectly fine.

Please help!

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Did you clean up your start up items?

3. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Possibly a corrupted download of Mavericks. Try testing by using another OS (such as Mountain Lion). If it works fine, re-download the installer and see if that works.

Download servers were hammered the past few days so... It's possible the download was just corrupted somehow. I suspect mine was, too, having weird issues (nothing as bad as yours though).

4. shrm03 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I removed everything from startup.

----------

How can I install an older version? I upgraded from Snow Leopard I believe.

5. Macintosh1984 macrumors regular

How does your Mavericks crash? Can you explain the symptoms?

6. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Reinstall SL using the original DVD that came with your computer, or the retail DVD, if you bought it.

7. shrm03 thread starter macrumors member

The mouse freezes and after about 1 second the screen goes black. Then the computer restarts and give a warning that says: The computer has restarted because of a problem.

----------

I don't have access to the disks. It's my work machine and the IT guys can't get to our for weeks.

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Try repairing permissions, reset SMC and reset PRAM.

9. shrm03 thread starter macrumors member

Well I didn't really fix the problem but I got it to install on a new partition. I didn't import ANY setting from my old setup and it works beautifully.

Now, I just need to move the files over from the old partition and then merge the partitions.

Thanks for all of your help!