Mavericks & creating NetRestore image

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by ZMacintosh, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ZMacintosh, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Trying to find the best way to create a netrestore image of mavericks with an Admin account/Password, etc

Have Lion/Mt Lion, etc all set up fine..however cant find a good way to do it with Mavericks.

the install mavericks.app only creates a bootable recovery image and not an actual installer.

let me add to this:
    So we have OS X Server 3 and mavericks

We have netrestore and netinstall images of 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 working great on our server
    we can netboot into a NetRestore image and it will erase the drive and install a fresh copy of 10.8.5 with an Admin Account and we're ready to go

Having a tough time doing the same thing with Mavericks. only thing it wants to create is a Recovery netBoot image where it shows the same process as holding Command R down.

We'd like to create a netrestore image to have it where it will install a clean copy of Mavericks and user account.
    as well as a netinstall image to upgrade users from 10.8 to 10.9 (we have netinstall images to upgrade users from 10.7 to 10.8 etc).

any ideas?

2. eschw95458, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

eschw95458 macrumors member

Have you tried setting up a machine with your admin account and then booting it into target mode and connecting it to your server and making the image from that? or from external HDD?

I haven't had time to go through the setup yet in 10.9, however, I did see others were suggesting to NOT use the default setup but to choose the customize and work through it that way.

3. tebruno99 macrumors newbie

I was able to create NetInstall, NetRestore, NetBoot all just fine using the "Install OSX Mavericks" from the app store and /System/Library/CoreServices/System Image Utility

(You have to be running 10.9 to create 10.9 images)