Mavericks Destroyed Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by monkthehonk, Jun 20, 2013.

1. monkthehonk macrumors member

I installed Mavericks over Mountain Lion (not a clean install) and it worked perfectly. However, my windows 8 bootcamp partition no longer shows up as a bootable option and under disk utility shows up as disk0s4. When I try to repair it this happens:

Verify and Repair volume “disk0s4”Checking file system** /dev/disk0s4
    Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000
    Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Besides this ?
    Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Do you have a clone of the drive?

3. monkthehonk thread starter macrumors member

no i don't but fortunately I didn't loose anything that I hadn't backed up. I was just (probably foolishly) hoping for a way to get it working again without having to reinstall everything.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You can try Disk Warrior or another disk utility, but since you have the files a reinstall might be easiest.

5. monkthehonk thread starter macrumors member

ya i may just try reinstalling, thx for the help

6. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

That's strange.. :O
    Because i have upgraded to Mavericks and my BootCamp runes fine?
    I have no problems at all.. :)

I do have the Retina MacBook Pro 2013 model with 2.7GHz and 512gb SSD and 16gb Ram :)

7. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

8. turbotoes macrumors regular

I also installed mavericks over ML and my win 8 partition is fine, I know that doesn't help you, but it might put others minds at rest.

9. GHynson macrumors newbie

Mavericks corrupting Bootcamp partitions

Had the same problem after upgrading to Mavericks from Mountain Lion 10.8. Apple tech support had no clue on how to approach the issue, and they put me in contact with an OSX software engineer. After a couple of days of remote sessions and attempted fixes. I just wiped the drive. Did a clean OSX 10.9 install, re-created the bootcamp partition and re-installed Win7. In the end, there was no fix other then wiping the drive and starting over. But the engineer did collect a lot of info on the root cause.

10. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Here is what you need to do to avoid future hassles with Bootcamp

1. Buy WinClone. It backs up your bootcamp partition and you can save it on what ever drive you want. I do backups of my Win 7 BC partition at least once a week and i store my data files in Dropbox.
    2. IF YOU NEED TO REFORMAT YOUR DRIVE TOTALLY CLEAN IN THE FUTURE...
    * create two partitions on your hard drive: 1 for OSX and a FAT32 (not NTFS) partition.
    * reinstall OSX, apps etc. including WinClone
    * Using the saved WinClone windows images, use WinClone to restore your windows environment. Note: you are not using Apple's bootcamp utility but rather, WinClone's restoration so you are not do a new install of windows and all the apps, just a complete restore from a saved WinClone image backup.

Trust me, it works and is MUCH easier that phoquing with Bootcamp.
    Here is Winclone's website. It'll be the best $30 you ever spent
    http://twocanoes.com/winclone/pricing

Ping me if you need further info.