Mavericks DP5 Major Bug - cannot sync iOS device

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Davmeister, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Getting connection error every time I try and sync over USB my iPhone or iPad mini (both running iOS 7 beta 5).

Anyone else?

Attached Files:

2. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

I just synced my phone one hour ago, everything went like it should.

3. w0lf, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I was having this too.

Reinstalled iTunes 11.1 and messed around a bit and it's working now.

4. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Re-installed iTunes 11.1 beta and syncing does indeed work now, and the recently disappeared battery indicator for the iPad is also back. Oddly, there were no issues with the iPhone.

iBooks did indeed move all the books from iTunes to itself, and strangely enough did not manage to preserve all the metadata, even from books properly purchased from the iTunes store. Which wouldn't be so bad if iBooks would still have an option to edit metadata from within the app. I do hope it will be back. Otherwise, I guess there's calibre. And Stanza.

5. myxomatosis macrumors member

myxomatosis

Had no problem syncing my wife's iPad mini. Did you try with iTunes 11.1?

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

iTunes 11.1 is bundled with DP5 so obviously he was using iTunes 11. Obviously there was some sort of bug with the install that caused this for some people, could have been related to having iTunes 11.1 installed beforehand or just something randomly not working right after installing.

7. myxomatosis macrumors member

myxomatosis

Sorry I didn't know. I was already using iTunes 11.1 on DP4.

8. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Hm...I was using the 11.1 beta before on DP4 actually, so its weird. I'll reinstall now and see how it goes....

9. RJCP macrumors 6502

I'm having an issue with syncing as well. First not even cable sync would work. I'd connect my devices, it wonky show a single yellow bar for the occupied space on the devices (not the colored audio/books/pictures it usually did). Hitting sync wouldn't do anything.

I then reinstalled the beta and it seem to have sorted the syncing issue, but now it doesn't detect my devices over WiFi.

Anyone with the same problem?

EDIT: another issue with itunes, all my digital booklets (including those from iTunes Store purchases) are gone from my itunes library and ended up on iBooks.

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Reinstalling the beta sorted it out for me too but wifi sync isn't working for me either.

11. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Reinstalling beta didn't work for me. Oh well! DP6 should fix, I'm sure...

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't think this is unique to Mavrix. iTunes wi-fi sync has been problematic for me regardless of OS.

1.) Quit iTunes
    2.) Toggle "off" Mac Wi-fi for a few seconds, then on again
    3.) Start iTunes and see if your device shows up.

If this doesn't work you may have to repeat this except toggle the wi-fi off/on for your iOS device instead.

13. RJCP macrumors 6502

True. It's never been smooth sailing, but the devices always used to show up for me and they have this far. I had 11.1 b1 installed before DP5 came out and it was ok, so I'm assuming it's something within OS X. I'm sure it'll be sorted in the next update. Only 2 weeks of cable sync :)

EDIT: another thing I've just noticed. The Applications option has vanished from my sidebar.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

It's always been fickle for me. I've been through many iterations and nothing changes.

Apple does not do Wi-Fi very well. (At least in OS X).

Don't hold your breath. :D

15. 3282868 macrumors 603

Had this crop up right after updating to DP5. My iPhone 5 was detected in iTunes, but trying to sync it would bring up a window claiming the device could not be syncing. I restarted my Mac Pro and it seemed to sort out the matter. No idea why.

Question, does WiFi syncing effect battery life as it seems to always be connected to iTunes?

16. RJCP macrumors 6502

Has anyone else in the UK (or elsewhere) been experiencing really erratic iTunes Match behaviour since a few days ago?

If so, are you running 11.1 b1 or 11.0?

Mine is driving me up the wall!!!

17. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Not sure if I made myself clear; I never use wifi sync. This is only over USB. I don't use wi-fi sync because like you said, its an arse-pain. So yes, this is definitely DP5 related.

----------

Also I'd disagree here; I think OS X has one of the best wifi interfaces, and I rarely have had issues....

18. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

I had some slightly different problems while loading music onto my 4S and memory and stuff (even after restoring multiple tims), I think for some reason it's a problem with the iTunes 11.1 beta that comes with DP5 because I then downloaded and installed just the iTunes 11.1 beta over the top one that came with DP5 and everything was back to normal

19. Jordan2611 macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 and Mavericks latest NOT SYNICING iPhone error (see image)....PLEASE HELP !!

ERROR 1140 ???
    Im running ios 7 beta 5 and latest Mavericks DP....

Will not sync with usb or without....soon as ync starts i get the error 1140 'An Unknown Error Occurred'....

Can someone help please....reinstalled just iTunes 11.1 and still same???

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I had this problem, a reinstall of the beta fixed things for me.

I was not looking forward to losing my jailbreaks on both devices!

21. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

iPad is not syncing any music. Lists them with a hollow circle in iTunes, but doesn't copy them across. Downgraded to iOS6.1.3 and still the same issue. :mad:

22. jocamero macrumors regular

I had this bug too. Reinstalling iTunes seems to have resolved it.