Mavericks fails to calculate remaining battery

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by nickandre21, Nov 3, 2013.

1. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,
    many times my mac fails to calculate remaining battery time, the battery left will be at 100% and it will be stuck at calculating, coconut battery as well shows the same. Which resulted in my mac shutting down without warnings whenever the battery gets drained.
    This has happened several times since i upgrades to mavericks, sometimes if i reconnect to the power outlet and remove the magsafe once it turns amber it starts calculating but takes around 3-5 minutes to do so.
    What could be the issue? I do not have any such issues while on bootcamp on windows 7

2. Sand King macrumors newbie

I am getting exactly the same problem on my new MBA 2013 that was delivered today. It has been calculating for a while now and still noting.

3. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It's different with me. It shows the remaining percentage but it's wrong when compared to Coconut Battery. There's always a 3-4 percentage points of difference. I haven't took the time to do the math and realise which one is right but this did not happen in Mountain Lion.

PS: Coconut Battery is the one showing less battery every time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.)

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. nickandre21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. vonglower macrumors newbie

7. teffers macrumors regular

The stock battery display is always off by upto 5%. This is done, so I've read, so that users don't see the 5% drop and subsequent recharge whilst the laptop is on charge that stops the battery over-charging.

iStat & Coconut show the 'true' battery charge.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What about if hold down the option key+click on the battery symbol in the Finder bar? Does it show anything?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. The battery cannot overcharge, as it stops charging what's it reaches 100%. The stock battery display is not designed to be inaccurate, but it is only an estimate. The same is true for iStat and coconutBattery: they are only estimates and none of them shows an accurate 'true' battery charge.

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

But then what happened between ML and Mavs? The algorithm changed? Because Coconut Battery showed the same as ML but does not show the same as Mavs.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--I think you may be onto something there. I never have percentage on but I just turned it on and compared the result with iStat and Battery Health. iStat and BH show the same--77 percent but the Mavericks percentage is 81 percent. Interesting that time remaining is the same across all three--3:58.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it is possible that something changed between ML and Mavericks, coconutBattery is known to have had accuracy issues in the past. Whether those have been resolved or not, I don't know. I really wouldn't worry about a few percentage points, either way.

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Well, I don't too but, as you can see by different reports on this thread, the issue is not only with Coconut Battery. My only concern (if I can call it that) is which one is right and why the behaviour changed in Mavericks.

14. vonglower macrumors newbie

Windows OK!

My battery percentage indicator remains stuck (and saying "calculating Remaining Time" always), and regardless the utility I use.
    The thing is that in Windows (through BOOTCAMP) there is no problem at all!
    The battery icon shows the correct percentage every time!

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mavs is fudging that battery % indicator.

Run the command below in Terminal and it will give you battery percentage direct from the OS.

I just ran the command on my 2013 MBA with Mavs and it shows 95.28%. Coconut battery also shows 95%, so it it correct also. But if I turn on the % for the Mavs menu bar battery icon it shows 100%.

Code:
    ioreg -n AppleSmartBattery -r | awk '$1~/Capacity/{c[$1]=$3} END{OFMT="%.2f%%"; max=c["\"MaxCapacity\""]; print (max>0? 100*c["\"CurrentCapacity\""]/max: "?")}'

16. vonglower macrumors newbie

Nothing works

Even using the above command, the system does not give any changed value!
    The battery percentage remains stuck everywhere.

P.S. I repeat that in Windows 7 Pro the battery percentage is displayed always correctly!

17. vonglower macrumors newbie

Windows Bootcamp issue?

Guys, I have a feeling that it happens to me when for some reason I start or restart by choosing Windows (Bootcamp).
    All this time (since my last post), having already done two charges, there seems to be no problem, but I work exclusively with Mavericks (not have used Windows).
    I believe that for some reason Windows in bootcamp block something or create some issue...
    (Besides, do not forget that in Windows the battery indicator changes normally).
    I will continue to watch it, and if I see anything new, I will inform the forum, for people that may or will experience something similar.