Mavericks file damage?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by djchristie, Jan 3, 2014.

1. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

Hi all,

I have a brand new rMBP 13", to which I have only run updates through MAS and installed Office 2011. I also used BootCamp to create a Windows 7 partition, which I subsequently removed. This was done under 10.9.1

I started to notice a bit of slowness and strange behaviour, so restarted into the recovery partition and used Disk Utility to do a repair. I received the following error:

"ERROR: Live file system repair is not supported"

After a bit of googling, I do not seem to be alone receiving this error. I then made a bootable clone of my system, installed DiskWarrior, and rebuilt the directory on the clone before rebooting to the clone and doing the same to the main partition. Subsequent to the rebuild, the DiskWarrior report returns the following issues:

File: "sk_SK.plist"
    Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired.
    Encountered unexpected character < on line 39 while looking for close tag
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/Resources/DateTimeFormats/"

File: "ubiquitous_AllSignatures.plist"
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Users/xxx/Library/Mobile Documents.33802452/com~apple~mail/Data/MailData/ Signatures/"

File: "ubiquitous_SyncedRules.plist"
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Users/xxx/Library/Mobile Documents.33802452/com~apple~mail/Data/MailData/"

File: "ubiquitous_SyncedSmartMailboxes.plist"
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Users/xxx/Library/Mobile Documents.33802452/com~apple~mail/Data/MailData/"

Is this an issue at all, and does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about fixing any of these problems?

Many thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you boot from the clone then completely erase the internal drive and clone back to the internal afterward?

It looks like the internal drive may be failing.

3. djchristie thread starter macrumors member

djchristie

Thanks for the reply. The errors are the same on the clone, and can't be repaired on that either. I really hope it isn't the drive - it is a brand new laptop (256GB SSD)!

I might try a clean install?

----------

I've just run DiskWarrior 4.4 on a different system running 10.9.1 and returned the same errors. This is a completely different machine (an old Core2Duo Macbook) whose files have had no association with the new one. It was upgraded to 10.9 from 10.8, unlike the other machine which came with 10.9 out of the factory.

Interested if anyone else with DiskWarrior gets the same errors?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry... I misunderstood. That is sounding like a Disk Warrior bug if you are seeing it on other machines also. :confused:

Try a command-option-r (all three keys at once) boot to Internet recovery then run Disk Utility on the internal drive. Does that show any errors now?

5. Barnstormr macrumors newbie

I just ran the DW check last night on my hard drive. One of the ones it returned is:

File: "sk_SK.plist"
    Encountered unexpected character < on line 39 while looking for close tag
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/Resources/DateTimeFormats/"

On this file, it's a problem at the end of line 38. There is no closing bracket at the end of the string tag.
    <string>dd. MM. yyyy</string

should be:
    <string>dd. MM. yyyy</string>

I opened the file with TextWrangler to determine that. Looks like an error in writing the code, since it exists in multiple computers with multiple people. Fixing the error was easy in theory. Saving the fixed file is a pain due to permissions. No idea if my replacement will work.

The other three, no idea on. However, they appear to be all from syncing problems. Probably safe to 1) move them to a new folder and let the system recreate them next time you sync mail to icloud/your mobile device; 2) just delete them.

----------

Since it appears to be a coding error, I submitted a bug report on the file to Apple.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Are you selecting the drive in disk utility (in recovery) or the partition named Macintosh HD (or whatever you named your primary partition)? As far as I know, starting in 10.9, you get that error only when selecting the drive itself due to Recovery being mounted.

7. JohnQTaxpayer macrumors newbie

odd

That is a bit strange. I ran DiskWarrior on my new rMBP 13" and go the EXACT same errors as the OP. :confused: