Mavericks finder malfunctioning badly...UGH.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Bruce5220, May 15, 2014.

1. Bruce5220 macrumors newbie

I am having a really dangerous problem for one who relies on his computer like me: when I go to the finder folder and click on a left bar favorite, NOTHING appears in the window on the right. Furthermore, sometimes when i click on a favorite nothing happens AT ALL.

This has been happening ever since I updated Mavericks last week. :confused:

Please help! This is not good for productivity!

Thanks ahead of time

2. m4v3r1ck, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

1. Did you try the show / hide hover options?

[​IMG]

2. Go to Finder > Preferences > Tab Sidebar check your sidebar settings here?

3. Bruce5220 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, BDM!

Actually, what I mean to say is not that favorites are not listed, along with devices, on the left hand sidebar. The problem is that when I *CLICK* on side bar list items *nothing happens.*

To this moment, when I click on the Finder icon in Dock, the attached folder comes up. When I try to click on anything, nothing happens. As you can see, all that is in the window is some wierd solitary .ai (Illustrator) file which has been saved on Box Sync (on which is the Box Sync saved identifier).

Note, however, that the selected item is not Box Sync, it is Desktop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

But I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue???

Bruce

Attached Files:

4. chabig macrumors 68040

That Finder window looks modified. What is the blue dot on the left side of the title bar? Why does there appear to be a curved tab at the top of the title bar? Why does the folder title appear on the left edge of the title bar?

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Got a network drive, or an old slow USB?
    Finder likes to have ALL the information before it updates a display, and wonky networks or slow devices can produce problems such as you're seeing.
    Try shutting down wi-fi/ethernet etc, and unplugging all those scanners, DVD recorders and HD's, and see if that speeds things up.

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

have you tried removing the sidebar items, finding the originals, and moving THOSE to the sidebar? just a thought...

7. notrack macrumors 6502

I have made similar experiences. Clicking on folders in the top bar (that I have placed there), sometimes doesn't work or shows results in the wrong sort order.

8. m4v3r1ck, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

This is NOT a Mavericks Finder issue...

Checked the Box Sync (v4.0.4925) app myself.

1. Are you using the latest version of this app?
    2. While setting up Box Sync, which folder did you choose to be the Box Sync home folder? Default is "Users/username/Box Sync" Why would you share "YourMac" on the Box Sync, all folder are visible?
    3. So all other folders on the left, show no content on the right? e.g. Applications?
    4. What is the folder structure of your online Box Sync, please share a screendump?