Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
On my previous machine, there was an option on the ads itself where I can enable flash. Where can I enable this function? On my existing system, there is a pop up every time asking if I want to enable Flash for that particular site. How can we configure Safari where the option to enable flash is on the Ad itself?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
On my previous machine, there was an option on the ads itself where I can enable flash. Where can I enable this function? On my existing system, there is a pop up every time asking if I want to enable Flash for that particular site. How can we configure Safari where the option to enable flash is on the Ad itself?

In Safari, go to Safari Extensions and install the "ClicktoFlash" extension. That's what I use.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

With Safari 7 in Mavs like you have, you do not need an add on extension for this.

Just go to this screen in Safari preferences and on the bottom right where it says "When visiting other websites:"... change that to "Block". With it set that way when you go to a web site with Flash all you will see is a small Flash logo and you can click that to get options to allow Flash on the site if you want. But unless you click the logo, there will not be a popup.

mCGzJlw.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
With Safari 7 in Mavs like you have, you do not need an add on extension for this.
Except it appears that the built-in option enables or disables Flash on a per-site basis, rather than on a per-element basis. You may want to view a Flash video on a site, but not all the Flash advertisements. ClickToFlash gives the option to enable selected Flash elements on a page, while leaving others on the same page disabled.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Except it appears that the built-in option enables or disables Flash on a per-site basis, rather than on a per-element basis. You may want to view a Flash video on a site, but not all the Flash advertisements. ClickToFlash gives the option to enable selected Flash elements on a page, while leaving others on the same page disabled.

Fair enough if that is what is wanted, but OP just asked about per site and Safari 7 can do that on its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.