Mavericks for the Pro Media user

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mrmeister, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mrmeister macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm just wondering how Mavericks is performing for the pro media users out there - particularly software like Pro Tools, Adobe Premiere Pro, Cubase etc...? I'm aware that X.9 is still in beta but I'm really worried about features like app nap and other new ways of saving power - I'm concerned that they're really going to hinder apps like this. Is there a way of turning off said power savers?
    Thanks

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

App Napping won't occur for apps that don't implement it. So you are safe there. The other announced power saving features increase system efficiency so not only won't they hurt the applications they could actually enhance performance slightly.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

This is no beta, this is a developer preview.

As far as i know, the new energy saving features are optional features.

4. mrmeister thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i'm sure i've seen something where someone was saying that for Pro Tools in particular it didn't help because pro tools had separate windows running in the background. This meant only the main window was getting all the attention from the processor.

If what Mr. Retrofire said is true, and the features can be turned off then I see no problem, but can someone confirm this please?

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 1.08.40 PM.png

As mentioned, the app needs to be coded with this capability. If it isn't, it won't nap and should operate like it did pre-10.9

6. mrmeister thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, and is App Nap definitely the only new feature that will purposely slow down other to favour the one you are currently using?

7. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Which basically translates into OS X Mavericks still being beta software: It's not ready for prime time yet.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't know what you're asking. :confused:

9. mrmeister thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any other power saving features (other than App Nap) that would hinder other app's or background task's performance?

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Not that I'm aware or at least none that have been publicized.

You use the word "hinder" as though app nap is a virus or something. :) Again, any old application will not be "hindered" by it. And, conversely speaking, new apps that incorporate this feature should provide the option to disable it.

What we all should be wary of is a developer "forcing" us to use it and providing no way to turn it off (like Safari).