Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themagichoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I'm on an early 2008 8-core Mac Pro. Mavericks seems to run fine but it's a little slow. For example when opening disk utility, the screen fades in as usual, but it stops for 1 or 2 seconds when it's halfway faded in, then fades all the way in. Opening Firefox takes 3, nearly 4 seconds to open after clicking it as well. I've got windows 7 installed on this machine as well and everything is lightning fast when I boot into it.

I've checked and Spotlight isn't indexing noted by the little dot in the magnifying glass not being there, so I'm not sure what's going on. Is there anything else I should check for? Or should I just wait until a new update for Mavericks is released?

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
I think there is something about graphics. Disk Utility opens with that slow animation for a lot of people. For me, sometimes animation of switching between desktops is slow (but only the animation is slow, if it takes 2 seconds to go between desktops, it still takes 2 second but with a laggy animation). So I hope Apple will fix it on 10.9.1

As for firefox, I think it is a third party problem. Firefox and Chrome for me are very slow at launching (usually 3-4 bounces) where Safari opens lighting fast.

themagichoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I've got an older GeForce 8800GT on this machine. I actually looked on the nvidia site for new drivers but the latest one is for Mountain Lion. Do you think there will be a driver update for this?

Now that you say something though, I notice that some videos on the web on this machine are going awfully slow and they're choppy. They work 100% fine when I boot into Windows though.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
If there is a driver update, it will be included in the next update. However, the problem may not be the driver but Mavericks' itself, I don't know. We will see when 10.9.1 is released, I think it is very close to be released.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
All my machines--2013 Mini i7, 2009 Mac Pro & 2008 iMac--suffer that slow Disk Utility animation. I suspect it's a problem with the animation code and not these particular Macs. I wouldn't mind disabling the animation. Other than that, most things run a little faster for me under 10.9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.