Mavericks hibernate-mode, not working?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by alaloas, Oct 26, 2013.

1. alaloas macrumors newbie

So i just updated my Macbooks air mid-2011 to Mavericks. And now i'm experiencing trouble with my sleep-mode/hibernate-mode.

Before updating, i used this terminal code: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1
    To change the sleeping behaviour on the mac. And the mac was set to hibernate instead of the regular sleep mode. 1 is the setting for hibernate-mode.Because its using too much power while sleeping. About 20% is going to waste while its in sleep mode, even tho the wifi and internet sharing is turned off.

Does anyone know a way to change the behavour to hibernate-mode? Iv'e tried to reenter the terminal code, and its apparently not working.

Looking forward to hear some solutions from you guys..

2. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

you could try to delete the sleep image to let the system recreate it.
    Code:
    sudo rm /Private/var/vm/sleepimage

3. alaloas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

Just done that. And after tried to check which sleep-mode my mac is using, by typing this code: pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

And its still on 1, which is the correct sleep mode for hibernate mode. But it seems that its still not hibernating. I tried to set the mac in sleep mode, and wake it again after a couple of minutes. Usually when the mac i hibernating the wake up phrase takes about 30 sec, because the hard drive must first write the data back to the RAM, so wake time is a bit slower. But is waking imidiately, so its still not working :confused:

Anything else i can try do to?

4. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

Isn't the computer supposed to enter hibernation mode after being like 5 hours in sleep mode?

5. KRivers macrumors member

KRivers

Regular sleep mode isn't even working for me, screen display powers down but not everything else.
    I've had this issue since about dp7

6. alaloas thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not sure about that. But before when i was using ML the hibernation mode was activated and it was hibernating instead of sleeping. So I wasn't loosing any power while the Mac was sleeping.

7. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

External ACD?

I have this problem dating back to my 2012 MBA as well as my current gen MBA.

The problem arises after unplugging my ACD after using it all day. If I disconnect it, and put in my back it will burn 7-10 % of battery overnight every time. If I disconnect it, reboot the Mac, the next day I am at 100% or 99%.

Not sure why this is but it held true on ML as well as Mavericks.

8. alaloas thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm also using a 27" ACD. And it's plugged in most of the time. But it was still working quite good with the terminal setting: sleep mode 1. Which hibernated the Mac and kept the power on 100 or 99%

Does anyone know any other solutions than rebooting the Mac every time? (If this even works for me)

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

my mbp will not enter sleep mode,have to shut it down after use since mavericks.

10. millsbob macrumors newbie

hibernatemode params

according to most sites, valid codes are 0, 3, or 25. i have seen reference to code 1, but my suspicion is this is the source of your problem.
    http://superuser.com/questions/4607...ibernate-mode-which-other-numbers-can-be-used

11. alaloas thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Why do you not use "DeepSleep" to hibernate your Mac ?

I have not checked yet if it still works on Mavericks, though.

It works fine on ML. I use the dashboard widget.

When I want a "normal" sleep, I use Cmd + Alt + Eject, when I want to go to hibernate mode I use the widget.

http://www.axoniclabs.com/DeepSleep/

13. alaloas thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't work

This isnt exactly what i was looking for, and it doesn't work on Mavericks.

14. axonic labs macrumors member

axonic labs

DeepSleep - Hibernate your Mac

DeepSleep 2.2 was released on 10/28 and it supports OS X Mavericks. Let me know if you have any problems. Thanks!

15. Devecseri macrumors newbie

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man1/

"We do not recommend modifying hibernation settings. Any changes you make are not supported. If you
    choose to do so anyway, we recommend using one of these three settings. For your sake and mine, please
    don't use anything other 0, 3, or 25.

hibernatemode = 0 (binary 0000) by default on supported desktops. The system will not back memory up to
    persistent storage. The system must wake from the contents of memory; the system will lose context on
    power loss. This is, historically, plain old sleep.

hibernatemode = 3 (binary 0011) by default on supported portables. The system will store a copy of mem-ory memory
    ory to persistent storage (the disk), and will power memory during sleep. The system will wake from
    memory, unless a power loss forces it to restore from disk image.

hibernatemode = 25 (binary 0001 1001) is only settable via pmset. The system will store a copy of mem-ory memory
    ory to persistent storage (the disk), and will remove power to memory. The system will restore from
    disk image. If you want "hibernation" - slower sleeps, slower wakes, and better battery life, you
    should use this setting."