Mavericks- How do I now get PDF's onto my iPad?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Mr Mo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Mr Mo macrumors newbie

Hi

I've just installed Mavericks on my iMac. Now they've introduced iBooks I can't find how to get my work PDF's onto my iPad. And the old ones have been moved off it. I used to import them through through iTunes, which always seems to be a bit of a long way round but it worked.

Does anyone know of a quick and simple way to do this? It should be easy shouldn't it?! Am I missing something?

Cheers

2. xodiak Guest

You still have to do it through iTunes from what I've found. However now I have to do it via a sync. Before i would drag the items I wanted into my iOS device now you have to select Book at the top when you've clicked on your iOS device in iTunes and check what you want to sync over. I dislike that iBooks doesn't have the meta data change ability (Get Info) and that it doesn't see iOS devices.

3. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

PDF handling in iOS/OS X over iCloud is just so amazingly incompetent... I just use Dropbox which has native viewing built in for fast access and link to Adobe Reader more more feature rich reading; fast simple ubiquitous syncing and Adobe's PDF reader is not too bad (I never use it on the desktop however). I also tried Mendeley (being a Scientist) but that software is appalling on iOS and simply poor on the desktop.

It should be easy indeed!!! :confused: Having to use iTunes for PDFs is just :eek:

4. Mr Mo thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks. Got it now
    Thank you both for the quick response.
    Much the same as was before with iTunes but I hadn't noticed the "books" tab. That'll make my day a little easier tomorrow!

Hadn't considered using drop box, good idea.

Cheers

5. fluffylucyxmy macrumors newbie

Apple, do something for your customers for a change.

I thought the books tab might be the way to go but if I click on sync books, it asks me if i want to delete all the songs, movies and documents on the iPad and sync with the current iTunes library. The answer to that is a definite NO. all I want to do is transfer a document onto my wife's iPad for her to look at. I tried emailing it to her but at 65MB, it refused to download. I understand that Apple wants to own our online lives and charge for everything, but having the latest tech should enable us to look through a contract electronically, instead of having to print it and look at it on paper. I hope someone from Apple reads this and does something for their loyal customers, instead of deliberately getting in the way of us using the devices.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I use Files Connect to transfer files between my iPad and PC or Mac. You can also view files only, such as PDFs and JPGs, without transferring them to the iPad.

7. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

iBooks BANISHED!
    This'll work to get proper pdf and book handling thru iTunes back, just so long as you don't have a backup copy of iBooks visible on any of your mounted drives.

8. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

What I do is open iBooks, drag the pdf there and then go into iTunes and then sync it onto my iPad. Works kinda the same as the OP described, but instead of importing them through iTunes you now have to do it through iBooks. Kinda stupid, not sure why they needed to introduce iBooks to OSX. If you wanna read a pfd or something you can always use preview and view it in double pages.