Mavericks iBook app

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ajiuo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

OK! It moved all of my books from iTunes to iBooks.. So how the hell do I get them on to my iPad now?

A few things about iBooks suck

- You can't use the "get info" option like you could in iTunes to edit metadata and / or cover art
    - There appears to be no syncing.. this should at least be possible with PDF's.
    - There doesn't seem to be a way to get books on to IOS device.. the fact that it removes migrates all books from iTunes makes this stuff really bad :/

Since they took books away from iTunes.. I wonder if they will ever move iOS apps to the app store.. I think they should. iTunes should be all about multimedia... maybe iPhoto could could be merged with iTunes

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

There is syncing. Look in iBooks preferences. Also do this and restart iBooks.

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.bookstoreagent/ProductionBag ; killall -9 bookstoreagent

3. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

it syncs book marks and collection Titles.. It doesn't actually sync any content.

it looks like you can still use iTunes to sync books under iPhone settings.. there is no longer drag and drop.. since the ibooks are no longer in iTunes :(

4. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Too soon to know for sure but there was a new agent linked to iTunes for iBooks. Not entirely sure what it does.

The new iBooks is borderline unusable on my side, it failed to load most of my epubs, and doesn't let me delete anything. When this goes gm I'll need to do a lot of clean up.

Such is the life of a beta tester.

5. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I think all these features are coming. The iBooks included with beta 5 seems like a very early build.

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Agreed. I can't even seem to delete Collections.

7. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

am I missing something or can it not display PDFs? it opens up preview to view them instead

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

That is correct.

9. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

I get random errors saying I don't have permissions to view the PDF trying to open it, and a non-stop spinning circle over the cover image for them have you come across that?

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Works fine for me. Launches the Preview app as normal.

Edit: The PDF will open but just noticed the spinning circle over the cover stays there.

11. RobeeSVK macrumors newbie

Still waiting for linkable ePub reader

What bothers me most with all ebook readers/managers is lack of any linking system (or I have not been competent enough to find one) - I spend quite some time with Devonthink, Evernote and Sente (to name some state of the art examples) and ability to link any item in these apps is huge time-saver - having similar possibilities within iBooks (or Kindle, or any other) would dramatically enhance studying and referencing with iBooks

I think nobody has problem imagining it - you collect your thoughts and notes for some project in Curio (my usual OneNote-like choice) or Scrivener, Notebook, whatever you like and you have bunch of images, pdfs, website bookmarks or just clipped website pages and so on

There is no problem storing these items organized in apps mentioned above and export direct link - but if i wanted to link some note or bookmark in my newly purchased iTunes Store book, I could rely on some far-fetched applescript with searching...or just accept the fact I cannot and leave just plaintext (Name of the book, page) for manual searching

Unfortunately, I could not see Apple with its current "simplicity/one app to rule them all prevailing paradigm" to change that, and I naturally understand, that reading War and Peace does not require such functionality. Nevertheless, I have failed to find any other solution (Calibre, Adobe DE, Kindle, Nook) that supports it - is it really that minor requirement? Seeing "education aspect" promoted widely even by Apple themselves makes that hard to believe - although I would not be surprised to learn, that Apple cannot imagine that you would need any other app than iBooks for your research :D

12. golosin2 macrumors member

You can drag any epub file into iBooks to add it, ok. But I think this is not what Apple wants you to do: if you BUY a book from iBookstore, it actually appears magically on your iDevices. Boom!

This is the Apple way. If you are not agree with that (and I am not), you have to do it manually.

13. mikeyhd macrumors member

cheez have to take the long route for this

1. Add the books to the iBooks on the mac with the proper collection ....
    2. Since there is no way to sync it, open dropbox download the book then and open with ibook on the ipad, and it will shown in the correct collection as defined on the iBook on Mac

must have a better way than this

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Yes, you're missing the retail version that hasn't hit the streets as of yet. ;)

15. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Doesn't show covers for my manually added epubs. They show perfectly in iTunes and on my iDevices. :confused:

16. ATC macrumors 6502a

This is surely a stupid question but where in iTunes do books show up? Using iTunes 11.1b in DP5 all I have in my library are Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps and the Home Sharing folder.

Btw, the iBooks app is showing all my books fine there, just nothing in iTunes..

17. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I bought a $1.99 book (a Jack Reacher novella) and downloaded it but when I go to open it, I get a message that tells me I can't open the book because it wasn't purchased with the Apple ID I'm signed in with (even though it is).

Anybody else have this same problem?

18. turbotoes macrumors regular

If you open the book, the cover should then show. I'm hoping its a bug.

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have this issue with 2 ebooks I bought last year.

This being the first iteration, I'm not concerned. DP 6 should (maybe) add enhancements to iBooks. At this point, it's mostly eye candy on a Mac.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In a twisted sort of way, that makes sense but for consistency it would be nice to have iBooks open PDFs

21. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I was hoping for the page turning animation, but it's not there. Perhaps it will show up in a later version or are they removing it from iOS as well in the name of "flatness" ?

22. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Oh god no. :eek:

Seriously. Do we really need more nauseating affects?

23. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

My iBook purchases say they were bought using a different apple id, so they can't be opened. .. They obviously weren't as I'm logged into the same one on my phone/iPad where they work fine.

Definitely needs a little more work.. I hope this doesn't end up being a persistent bug. :O

24. koolaid-drinker macrumors 6502

I have found the location where ibooks stores the books and plist at.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/

25. trixx macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to get an ePub off of your iPad? For some reason iBooks isn't detecting one I read on my iPad so I want to try adding it to iBooks first but I want to keep my notes/highlights.