Mavericks Icons to match iOS7?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kultschar, Sep 13, 2013.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Sorry if im late to the party but I was wondering if Mavericks will eventually change the icons to match iOS7? Or maybe it currently has in current beta???

I have not played around with any betas and only seen whats currently on the Apple Preview website.

Seems odd that after all the work they did sort of get consistency between iOS and ML etc that would presume they will share the same icons for native apps thats they share e.g. safari etc however maybe they have done already???

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Who, with any authority here could possibly know that? It won't happen in Mavrix though. At least this is not in the Previews thus far.

3. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Maybe the same way devs "figured out" we'd be see retina MacBooks by seeing the wallpapers in Lion were exactly 2x the normal screen resolution or something.

I'm not a dev but I can appreciate there are little clues in DP of iOS and Mac OS that tell us what might be next!

4. Hezzaa macrumors member

Well you have the new iBooks and maps icons that are flat and iOS 7 like. Also the new iTunes icon appearing in iOS7 DFU mode. So my guess would be yes, at some point they will rework the older icons too. Altho I think that wont happen in Mavericks since they already tweaked the old Photobooth icon a bit.

5. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

I'll give you the iBooks icon (eww) but the Maps icon is not minimal at all.

6. Hezzaa macrumors member

Well it's more minimal and iOS 7 like than the old icons.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

They'll have to do more than just change the icons in OSX. Like iOS, it will require a complete makeover if they chose do do it.

8. Hezzaa macrumors member

True. Maybe they will give us a preview of it in jan/feb.

9. peripatetic macrumors newbie

The icons must change

Apple must change some icons in Mavericks before it goes public. Look at Calendar, Contacts and Notes.

Those three icons no longer resemble what the new, non-skeumphoric apps look like.

Notes no longer has the stark yellow pages of a legal pad, with the binding at the top. The Calendar icon now more closely resembles what the app looked like in Mountain Lion. And the Contacts icon looks exactly like the previous version, which opened to look like a leather-bound book.

Perhaps Apple won't redesign all of the icons, such as in in iOS 7. But it would be disingenuous and downright silly to keep icons that don't resemble the overhauled apps.

10. nyolc8 macrumors regular

In 10.9 DP8, gamecenter and reminders still have the old UI, so I think there will be more (minor) UI changes

11. yaddam205 macrumors member

Let's hope nope. I think the iOS 7 design language is unappealing and reminds me of Crayola drawings.

Please keep OSX looking somewhat business professional.

12. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I can see some of the icons getting a little makeover, but as far as matching them to iOS 7 I don't think that will be happening. For instance, some of the system apps that have received a major makeover could use a different icon in favor with their new design.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Won't happen with Mavericks. Seems like the release in 2014 is a good time to give the whole OS a makeover.

14. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Totally agree. The two OS's are bound to look the same at some point buy my vote is for OSX and to ditch the fisher price iOS 7.

15. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

16. 3282868 macrumors 603

It's so Windows Metro looking to me. I'm sure they're very different, I just simply place them in the same UI category.

I really hope OS X doesn't go down that road.

17. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I suspect in the next release or the release after, Apple will do the following to kind of bring some consistency between iOS and OS X.

- Return to the 10.0 to 10.4 Dock or the Public beta style dock.
    - System 7x style theme

18. pedrofan, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

pedrofan macrumors 6502

This is the icon set that I'm actually using now to match iOS 7 redesign

This is the icon set that I'm ACTUALLY using now to match iOS 7 redesign:

[​IMG]

And here the apps that I normally have in the dock:

[​IMG]

19. scarred, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

scarred macrumors 6502a

Looks great! Do you have a link to the icon set and the background?

Edit: For others, from above, you can get the icons here:

http://dribbble.com/tristanedwards

He made two sets you have to download.

20. Humex macrumors 6502

21. rayhigh macrumors member

22. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

23. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Why do people even care about this? As long as they don't remove the ability to add your own icons, it's not like an iPhone where you're stuck with the default.

Attached Files:

24. garagethrash macrumors member

Best mock up i've seen yet. the sharp corners suit OSX much better than rounded squares. finder icon needs an update though too