Mavericks install - slow right-click menus?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ls1dreams, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ls1dreams, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just installed Mavericks, and am generally happy. Haven't had any major problems, except for these two:

1. Swipe gestures no longer work in finder (this is noted in many threads already)

2. One I haven't seen mentioned: When I use a two-finger tap (similar to right click) on a file or link/bookmark/etc, there is a noticable delay until the menu appears. By my stopwatch it's approximately 0.3-0.4 seconds. I booted into 10.6.8 on my other drive for comparison, and it's definitely instantaneous, so this is not a mental thing.

I remember some time ago changing an animation speed to 0.1 in snow leopard to increase animation times, but can't find what I did. Not sure if it's related to this or not.

Any suggestion? Maybe there's another terminal command I can run to update the animation/transition speed for that?

This delay is making Mavericks feel really unresponsive to me and driving me crazy, almost like a really old machine that can't keep up.

2. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

For windows users, this is sort of the equivalent of "menushowdelay" in the registry.

3. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Strange, mine works just fine and shows up in less than a second. No delay at all whatsoever.

Try rebooting to the Recovery Partition (restart, press ALT during the restart, then choose "Recovery-10.9), then run Disk Utility, Repair Permissions and Repair Disk. Reboot and see what happens?

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

1) That's because the feature doesn't exist anymore just use the free app better touch tool.

2) I can almost guarantee it's because you have either a plugin or service for the context menu that isn't working right.

Could be anything in these locations:

/System/Library/Contextual Menu Items
    /Library/Contextual Menu Items
    ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items

/System/Library/Services
    ~/Library/Services

5. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, this was a fresh install. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Everything seems to be empty except /System/Library/Services which has:

Add to iTunes as a Spoken Track
    AppleSpell
    ChineseTextConverterService
    Encode Selected audio Files
    Encode Selected Video Files
    ImageCaptureService
    OpenSpell
    Set Desktop Picture
    Show Address in Google Maps
    Show Map
    SpeechService
    Spotlight
    Summary

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

My thoughts:

Well you could always try just moving them out temporarily.

Does the menu open slow no matter what's in the context menu?

Does it open slow every time or just the first time?

Could be that the menu isn't caching?

Suppose it could also be a problem with another item like open with or tags, if it's only happening in Finder.

Do you have any apps that add something to the menu like dropbox?

You could try rebuilding launchservices:

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder
    Do you get any errors in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app when you right click?

Does the same occur if you hit control + mouse1 instead of mouse2? Could be a problem with your mouse and Mavericks.

You could try another fresh install.

Was this problem there from the second you installed or did it show up after time or restoring from a backup?

7. ls1dreams, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome reply. Please see my comments above in bold.

Why would control+touchpad click (or control + touchpad tap) be fast but a two-finger tap be slow? I realize that gestures could potentially be slightly slower to recognize, but in 10.6.8 a two-finger-tap gesture was instantaneous, so I'm not sure why that would have changed.

As stated it's not really long, but just long enough for me to notice and get frustrated from it. Around 0.3-0.4 seconds. It's consistent system-wide, which makes me suspect it has something to do with the trackpad software and not individual context menus (finder, chrome, etc).

8. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yup looks like that's it. I have no idea about the trackpad drivers but I notice it is slower myself when I use my trackpad.

The issue seems to be with 2 finger tap to click.

I can't really think of a workaround aside from either deal with it or use a different input as the right click. Like maybe try making 3 finger click do a right click using better touch tool and see if that has the same delay.

I suppose the delay is just small enough that most people don't complain.

EDIT: While I was typing this I think I've come up with a solution but you have to make a sacrifice.

1) Open system preferences
    2) Trackpad
    3) Scroll and Zoom
    4) Uncheck smart zoom

My theory is that the delay is there because the system waits to see if you're gonna double tap to zoom before it tries to display the context menu, otherwise every time you used smart zoom the context menu would show up.

Enjoy.

9. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Yesssssssssssss.... that works for now. I'll never use smart zoom, so don't mind losing it at all. I was experimenting with turning off some of the other 3-tap things that I thought it might be checking for. Good call on the smart zoom.

Thanks so much. You've made me much happier.

Now if I could only get Better Touch Tool to actually work!

10. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1650154

11. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Kind of works. Had to disable both the "lookup" gesture (3 finger tap) and the regular 3 finger swiping, but it's kind of inconsistent. Seems to work on the 2nd attempt.

Really wish Apple would just incorporate this back in.