Mavericks installation failed because the recovery system could not be created

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ToniqR, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

As mentioned in my title, when I go through the install process for Mavericks it starts to install, but then says it has failed because the recovery system could not be created. What does this mean, and how do I solve it? Thanks in advance.

It gives a web support address to /support/no-recovery, but that does not help at all.

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 15" with a 256 Samsung 830 SSD which I assume is the issue. I transferred everything via Carbon Copy though so it should be identical to my previous hard drive.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like Carbon Copy Cloner failed to create the recovery partition when you copied the contents from the old system.

Typically OSX will create the a recovery partition, but since you used CCC, perhaps that messed things up. Did you try to repartition the drive and install Mavericks as a new system and then migrate your data from your old system via CCC?

3. ToniqR thread starter macrumors member

ToniqR

Hi, thank you for your response. Looks like your right and it is CCL. I've not had a chance to sort it out today other than create a bootable usb drive for Mavericks.

But just to check from what you said, if I create a new partition on my SSD and install Mavericks on this bit, that would be a fresh install.

If successful, I can then transfer all my data across from the original partition via CCL or use my time machine backup.

Can the original partition then be deleted easily so the new install can access the full 256gb space?

Also, I have Parallels 8 with windows 8 installed, and I've read that this works fine on Mavericks. But if I use CCL or time machine restore, will this all copy over nicely and still work, or would I need to reinstall any windows programmes etc?

I'm using MapInfo for GIS work at the moment so don't want to do the clean install, then realise I have to faff with sorting out all my windows programmes again.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm no expert so any help is appreciated!

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

This was my first thought. I haven't had to troubleshoot this issue in a while but I do recall Bootcamp partitions causing Lion/Mountain Lion fail due to a recovery partition creation failure. Is Parallels pulling from Bootcamp partition or is Windows completely contained in a virtual machine?

5. C0wan macrumors newbie

I'm stuck

So I did everything on here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5911
    Up to the point where I now have mavericks on a USB flash drive which is extremely slow and I don't know how to get the OS onto my macintosh HD :confused: any help please? Oh and also will getting the OS onto my HD format everything on it? Thanks :)

6. ToniqR thread starter macrumors member

ToniqR

As far as I know, my windows system in parallels is 100% virtual, so there isn't a bootcamp partition. I just remember when previously restoring photoshop it didn't like being copied and had to be reinstalled from the disc again.