Mavericks Installation Problem

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Maccho, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Maccho macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I just downloaded OS X Mavericks onto my laptop and before installing it into my laptop, I copied the package contents so that I can install it onto my iMac without having to re-download the entire new OS.

BUT.... I am stuck as to how to install in into my iMac now, it looks quite different to Mountain Lion whereas it was just clicking an "Install OS X" (or around those lines) file.

Can anyone help me with this? Really want to get Mavericks on my iMac.

I have read about making a bootable USB drive and just boot from the drive when i restart my computer. Will this just upgrade my system keeping all my installed apps and what not, or does it delete everything and install the new OS?

Thanks in advanced guys!!!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to move that whole installer file that was downloaded to your /Applications folder over to the second machine to install Mavs. Just moving the package contents won't work.

A standard install of the OS will not delete your apps or data. You should backup first just to be safe though.

3. Maccho thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much!!

I'll try it out.

Thanks again!

4. Maccho thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Weaselboy. Upgraded my iMac last night with a boot drive and it worked!!

Really appreciate your help!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Good deal... glad it worked out. :)