Mavericks Installer Certificate Expired...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bidwellian, Mar 31, 2017.

1. bidwellian macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to remove a certificate handshake or at least set it back in time for a MacOS installer?

I need to do a fresh install of Mavericks on my Mac PRo.

Thanks in advance!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Download a new copy of the installer from the App Store.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Information courtesy of Randy Singer:

4. bidwellian thread starter macrumors newbie

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Downloading a new copy of the installer from the App Store makes this completely unnecessary. A fresh download will have a new certificate.

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Thank you. :)
    I know, but downloading a new copy does not answer the OP's question of how to work around the installer expired certificate. I did not see the harm of providing the information since you already offered the best solution of downloading a fresh copy. I can think of at least 3 circumstances when downloading a new copy may not be practical in the moment. The OP may have a urgent need to complete the installation to get a working system and does not currently have the resources to download a fresh copy.

7. tywebb13, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

I agree with chrfr that downloading fresh copies is generally the best solution.

When I found out the certificates expired for all my previous bootable usbs I made over the years for every point release from 10.7-10.11.3 I decided to redownload them from the mac app store and got new copies of 10.7.5, 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10.5 and 10.11.3 with updated certificates and remade the bootable usbs.

However with the exception of el capitan this solution is only good for the final point releases.

What if I want to reinstall something like 10.7.3 instead? There is no way to redownload that with an updated certificate.

Hence CoastalOR and Randy Singer's terminal date trick is still sometimes needed.

I find it amusing that my bootable usbs of tiger, leopard, snow leopard and snow leopard server have not expired!

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Those old installers aren't signed, so there's no certificate to expire. A mixed blessing, I suppose.

9. bidwellian thread starter macrumors newbie

I have combo updates for older OS'es for my old macs. Some of the drivers are no longer available online. When I try to download a new copy they require the latest OS which I can't use...

I was hoping someone knew how to edit the plist inside the instaler to fix the problem. Like setting the date to 2999 or something like that.

Thanks

10. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I know this problem, and it's quite annoying. The retail DVD version of iWork 09 has the same problem.

It's not a problem if you keep everything up-to-date, but I have a mini-museum of older Macs in my apartment, and this makes it harder to reinstall things.

I have a new MacBook Pro and iMac that run the latest OS and software. I have an older MacBook and Mac mini that run Mavericks, with iTunes 11 and the newest iWork and iLife they support. I have an even older MacBook and iMac that run Snow Leopard, iTunes 10 and the DVD versions of iLife 11 and iWork. And a few Tiger machines as well. I like to do this because it's nice to look back at how Apple's software and hardware has evolved over time.

The 'signed installer' stuff makes this harder to do. You could download a new Mavericks installer, but that would include iTunes 12 and Safari 9. If this is your only machine, you probably want new, up-to-date software. But it doesn't work for me and my collection of old Macs.

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That's not what I've found, usually Apple stops updating the installers after the last numbered release build (such as 10.9.5). That means any security updates, or newer versions of iTunes, Safari, etc. released after that update, would have to be installed afterward.

Of course, if you want to roll back to an older numbered version, you do have to have an older copy of the installer and change the date as detailed above. But both iTunes 12 and Safari 9 came after 10.9.5 in this instance, and usually there is little to no reason not to install the latest numbered version of an OS (even on 10.8.5 which came with iTunes 11, I was able to roll back to iTunes 10.7 on my 2006 iMac).