Mavericks Installer Fusion Drive Prompt

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by That-Guy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Just done a fresh install of Mavericks GM on my Mac Mini, the Mac Mini has an 128gb SSD + 500gb HDD. My setup has always been OS X on the SSD and Data/Downloads on the HDD.

When I ran the Mavericks Installer it came up with a message saying something along the lines of my Fusion Drive setup was incorrect do you want to re-create it. I couldn't test to see if this would work as I had data on the 500gb HD I wanted to keep.

So my question is....would the installer actually create a Fusion Drive for me even though the SSD is not from Apple (OCZ Branded) or would it of realised further down the line then failed?

2. RogerB macrumors member

I too would like to know this. I have a 17" MBP with a DIY fusion setup. It is missing the recovery partition.

How does Mavericks work with DIY fusion setups? Will it actually repair or create fusion drives from non-apple drives?

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I just installed Mavericks on a 2012 Mac Mini with a DIY fusion drive and the setup never asked about fusion. The installation went smoothly. I still have my fusion drive and everything is working.

4. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Thats great to know thanks!

5. RogerB macrumors member

I decided to go for it and it installed fine over my DIY fusion drive. All seems well.

6. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

The answer is yes it will create a fusion drive out of both internal drives. If you already have a fusion drive created then it won't prompt to create one.

7. Middleman-77 macrumors member

It would be advisable to run Disk Utility first with Repair Permissions before doing any installation on the Fusion Drive as some people have had issues with the Fusion Drive partition table being corrupted.