Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I´m using my macbook with a samsung 1080p external monitor as usual. Problem is that after sleep, or screen shut down for saving energy, after screens comes back from black, the resolution has changed, to a very lower one... i´m in dp 6 or 7, 7 i think now, just the very last one...

happens to anybody else?

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
Yeah. 2013 rMBP. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, then it fixes itself automatically. Not a huge inconvenience since I don't use it in clamshell mode full-time, but I'd imagine it to be a pain for those who do.

rayhigh

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
I´m using my macbook with a samsung 1080p external monitor as usual. Problem is that after sleep, or screen shut down for saving energy, after screens comes back from black, the resolution has changed, to a very lower one... i´m in dp 6 or 7, 7 i think now, just the very last one...

happens to anybody else?

I had this problem with a mini and a samsung tv in, I beleive, dp 6. It no longer occurs in dp 8.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
This problem is still there, which is quite a shame, as 10.9 is supposed to be improved for external monitor, but is quite the opposite due to this huge bug...

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
interesting, thanks for the tip. still, i don't wanna mess around with these setup files, I hope apple fix it, cause it's a big bug, and a quite annoying one. It's solved by disconnecting and connecting the external monitor. I´m using a samsung 24" 1080p, by vga connector + adaptor to mini display port.

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
I'm getting this with my 2009 Mac Mini that is connected to a Sony Bravia TV with a mini DP to VGA adapter. Often the resolution will reset back to 800x600 e.g. after sleep or if the TV isn't on. Worked fine with SL but after updating to Mavericks this problem has appeared.
I can get the correct resolution to appear as an option by option clicking 'scaled' in the display preferences panel, but the image becomes offset and is not centred on the display, nor does it look correct (looks as if the wrong refresh rate is used).

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
I´m now in 10.9.1 and the issue is still there. I bet apple won't fix this, as it seems to happen only in 2009 machines... Let's wait to 10.9.2 or .3, but i don't think they will fix it.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
Yeah. 2013 rMBP. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, then it fixes itself automatically. Not a huge inconvenience since I don't use it in clamshell mode full-time, but I'd imagine it to be a pain for those who do.

I've had the issue of HDTV video source devices can losing the EDID after sleep or source changes. Yes, you can often fix by restarting or pulling the HDMI cable. However Gefen HDmi Detective Plus is a more elegant solution as it is designed to "remember" the EDID and thus keep the screen rez constant. Gefen has versions for DVI, etc.

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
Try this workaround:
When it loses resolution, press CMD+F2 to make it detect displays again
Works for me

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Is it acceptable as a workaround to simply adjust energy saving preferences so the display and notebook never sleep while on power supply?

Burn in can be avoided with the screen saver.

Last edited:

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
actually it is NOT fixed. False alarm, sorry ;-)

CMD + F2 worked perfectly though, thanks for the tip!! What i do is using a black screensaver and turn off sleep screen...

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
problem solved using the HDMI connection of my monitor, with a chinese mini display port to hdmi adapator. I think apple doesn't sell this adaptor.

I don't know if this has fixed the issue, or 19.2 beta solved it, but anyways, problem is now gone. I think it has been the adapter. Maybe apple is not supporting much more vga analog connections?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.