Mavericks keeps changing wallpapers of additional desktops

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by msvadi, Dec 17, 2013.

1. msvadi macrumors regular

Does anyone know why Mavericks keeps changing wallpapers of additional desktops (spaces)? Wallpaper of the main desktop (#1) stays the same, but a wallpaper set to desktop #4 may suddenly "migrate" to desktop #2, and so on.

After resetting wallpapers, everything would work normally for a while, until wallpapers migrate again. I have to reset them the way I like every two weeks or so. Since I use different wallpapers to distinguish between different desktops (spaces), it's very confusing when they randomly switch places.

Thanks

2. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

I think I have better understanding now about what's going with changing desktop backgrounds. Actually, backgrounds don't change. What changes is the order of the additional desktops. Somehow desktops #2 and #3 switch positions. I can restore it back through mission control, but I would like to know how this happens in the first place. I only use Control+1, Control+3 and etc to move between desktops, but in the process somehow their order gets changed.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm... Spaces aren't remembering their positions anymore, you say? Various things could be causing this:
    • OS X bugs
    • Corrupted caches for Spaces
    • Corrupted saved application states

4. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to reset caches and saved states for Spaces? Thanks

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sure is. These things are found in your user Library folder, in the Caches and Saved Application State subfolders. The file name is most likely com.apple.spaces, but could also have other names: com.apple.missioncontrol is the most likely of these.

6. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'm also wondering if there might be some keyboard shortcut for changing the order of spaces that I hit accidentally.

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

8. msvadi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! That explains everything.