Mavericks keeps changing wallpapers of additional desktops

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Does anyone know why Mavericks keeps changing wallpapers of additional desktops (spaces)? Wallpaper of the main desktop (#1) stays the same, but a wallpaper set to desktop #4 may suddenly "migrate" to desktop #2, and so on.

After resetting wallpapers, everything would work normally for a while, until wallpapers migrate again. I have to reset them the way I like every two weeks or so. Since I use different wallpapers to distinguish between different desktops (spaces), it's very confusing when they randomly switch places.

Thanks

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I think I have better understanding now about what's going with changing desktop backgrounds. Actually, backgrounds don't change. What changes is the order of the additional desktops. Somehow desktops #2 and #3 switch positions. I can restore it back through mission control, but I would like to know how this happens in the first place. I only use Control+1, Control+3 and etc to move between desktops, but in the process somehow their order gets changed.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think I have better understanding now about what's going with changing desktop backgrounds. Actually, backgrounds don't change. What changes is the order of the additional desktops. Somehow desktops #2 and #3 switch positions. I can restore it back through mission control, but I would like to know how this happens in the first place. I only use Control+1, Control+3 and etc to move between desktops, but in the process somehow their order gets changed.
Hmm... Spaces aren't remembering their positions anymore, you say? Various things could be causing this:
  • OS X bugs
  • Corrupted caches for Spaces
  • Corrupted saved application states

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Hmm... Spaces aren't remembering their positions anymore, you say? Various things could be causing this:
  • OS X bugs
  • Corrupted caches for Spaces
  • Corrupted saved application states
Is there a way to reset caches and saved states for Spaces? Thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Is there a way to reset caches and saved states for Spaces? Thanks
Sure is. These things are found in your user Library folder, in the Caches and Saved Application State subfolders. The file name is most likely com.apple.spaces, but could also have other names: com.apple.missioncontrol is the most likely of these.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks. I'm also wondering if there might be some keyboard shortcut for changing the order of spaces that I hit accidentally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.