Mavericks killed my mac pro

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tralfaz, Oct 24, 2013.

1. tralfaz macrumors member

tralfaz

My venerable mac pro 3,1(2008) was left dead after mavericks installation.

I was doing a clean install onto a separate HD partition. I left the installation during the transfer from my old Snow Leopard partition. And when I came back, no video signal from my Apple Radeon 5750 HD. Not via the display port or via DVI. It still seems semi functional, I can eject the DVD drive, but even attempting to boot off the SL install DVD yields no video signal. It does seem to boot off the DVD, but I can't verify it obviously. I suppose my video card could have chosen that exact moment to die, but I'm doubting it.

Any ideas what to try next.

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

It looks like your graphics card is toast:(.

Anyway try an smc and pram reset.

3. tralfaz thread starter macrumors member

tralfaz

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks.

4. tralfaz thread starter macrumors member

tralfaz

Not dead just wounded

Plugged in an older monitor that required a DVI connection, and TAHDAH!, Video. Connected my current monitor via DVI, and it worked too. Using a DP cable no signal with Mavericks. Boot back into Snow Leopard works like a champ.

So it seems Mavericks does not operate the Mini-DP ports on my 5770 card. Which means no multiple monitor support on Mavericks. Bummer.

On the plus side graphics performance seems dramatically improved on Mavericks. Quick test with WoW at 2560x1440: Snow Leopard=30-40fps, Mavericks=60-80fps.

I'll just hope they find a cure for this before I decide I can't live without a second monitor.

5. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

What you describe sounds extremely unlikely and does not appear to be caused by Mavericks. I have an unsupported Mac Pro 1,1 with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card. It boots into Snow Leopard and Windows 7 like a champion using EFI. And it boots into Mavericks like a champion using Chameleon.

If I were you, I would check the drive you are installing Mavericks on.

6. tralfaz thread starter macrumors member

tralfaz

Semi Happy Update

I shutdown my MacPro and disconnected the main power cord, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Supposedly this causes the SMC to reset. I then disconnected the DVI cable, and reattached the mini-DP to DP cable. I then did the vulcan PRAM neck pinch (CMD-ALT-P-R), during power up. The fabulous grey field with the apple logo appeared right after the bong. It boots, and my desk top appears and everything looks good. However, after Mavericks goes into sleep, the monitor goes into power save mode, and then never regains signal on the DP after waking. Plugging the DVI cable back in and disconnecting the DP cable restores my desktop.

So it seems it is a quirk in the Mavericks drivers. Its irritating because I really hate DVI cables. Was so glad to be rid of them. :(

7. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

i've seen a couple other threads about displays not waking up with the computer, so maybe your original problem was just an extension of that bug?