Mavericks Locking Up After A Few Minutes From Login

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by A4orce84, Jan 16, 2014.

1. A4orce84 macrumors regular

Hello Everyone,

Last week I noticed that after logging into my mac (with Chrome and Adium auto-launching) the machine would basically lock-up after a few mins. I could hear the fan fire up and it sounds like it was churning through something.

I tried to troubleshoot it for a few days, but just ended up wiping everything and doing a clean install of Mavericks last weekend. Today, I get home from work and the same behavior starts again. I'll try and keep terminal open and run a Top command while this happens again.

But has anyone experienced this before? And if so, what's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Since this is the 2ND time this has happened, after the clean install, I'm a bit lost and annoyed this is occurring again. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Asif

2. allthingsapple macrumors member

Have you tried a Pram reset and an SMC reset.

3. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

I have not, can you potentially link me to some documentation on what they are and how to perform them please?

Thanks!

4. allthingsapple macrumors member

Ok to do a pram reset. Shut down the mac. switch the mac back on and as soon as you hear the startup chime hold down command, option (left alt key) P and R keys. Keep the keys held in until you have at least heard the boot chime a further 3 times. The screen will flash, thats normal.

With regards to the SMC reset. What mac do you have as the SMC reset differs slightly between models. Let me know which mac you have and i'll give you the right steps.

5. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

6. allthingsapple macrumors member

Ok To do a SMC reset. Shut down the mac. Connect the charger. Hold down the left shift key, control, option (left alt key) and the power button for 15 - 20 seconds. Let go and you should see the led on the charger change color. wait 10 - 15 seconds and turn the mac back on.

7. A4orce84, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks allthingsapple! What does this actually solve?

In other news, I think I've determined that it seems to be tied to Chrome. I played a 5 minute video a couple times in a row, and before the 5 mins were up, the computer seems to lock up.

If I don't have chrome open, OSX seems to behave fine. I'll go ahead and do the resets and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

--Asif

8. allthingsapple macrumors member

The Pram resets the non volatile ram. and a SMC reset resets the system management controller. resetting these helps solve graphical glitches, system slow downs and freezes among other things.

9. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

So I performed both resets (oddly on the SMC reset, the LED on my charger did NOT change color when I let go, I tried this a few times with the same result).

Upon completing both SMC reset and the PRAM reset, i logged back in and my computer locked back up again. =(

Any other ideas? As I said earlier, it seems to be tied to chrome, but not sure what's really going on.

Thanks.

10. allthingsapple, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

allthingsapple macrumors member

Open up the Activity monitor from the utilities folder and click on the processes tab. You should be able to see from there if any particular process is hogging system resources. It may well be tied to Chrome, but it's best to check just to be certain. I'd also check to see what version of chrome you are running as there may be a newer version available for mavericks.

Edit: Just an afterthought but have you checked the list of login items under users and groups in system preferences. Remove any items there that are either tied to chrome or are no longer in use.