Mavericks Locking up the iMac and generally being a POS?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by seble, Feb 8, 2014.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

I've got a 21.5 late 2012 iMac. Mavericks has been on it for about a week, and I've had to restart the computer from the power button about 10 times. I cant put it to sleep, because sometimes it will wake up, then freeze when I unlock, or sometimes it just won't wake up at all.

It has lots of weird window placement bugs too, like when I wake it from sleep all the windows are in the top left hand corner and they won't move out of there unless I restart.

Then theres the fact that I cant run my iMac under anywhere near the same kind of load that I could before. Right now I have 3 safari windows open and 10 apps and this thing is running like a dog, literally stuttering all over the place and barely useable, would run beautifully with the same load on ML.

Any way to solve these bugs or am I just going to have to roll back to ML? The only reason I installed Mavericks (well the main reason) was iCloud keychain, and the 'decen't' syncing of my pages and numbers files, between devices, but I'm not putting up with an OS that cant handle things or that freezes when I unlock my computer.

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Did you repair permissions after installing Mav?

3. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did it before I installed.

4. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great my iMac just locked up and froze completely whilst doing a repair disk permissions. If no one has any tips or anything I should try then I'm going to restore back to mountain lion. This is the worst update I've ever been subjected to. First p*ss poor ios7 now this. Apple is making it thoroughly difficult for me to want to hold onto their products right now after being a longtime customer.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like perhaps you have some app or utility installed causing a conflict with Mavs, as what you are seeing is not a known issue with Mavs on your machine.

Open Activity monitor and go to the CPU tab then sort by CPU% and see if any processes there are running high CPU cycles that might be slowing you down.

Also try a safe mode boot by holding the shift key when you start. That will bypass any startup/login items you have. If it works okay in safe mode, then start removing login and startup items to find the conflict.

Also, do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Util to do a repair disk. Does that show any errors?

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You should create a bootable install of Mavericks. Backup everything and do a complete erase of your hard disk. Install Mavericks on an empty drive and manually reinstall your apps. I did this and my experience was a complete 360. I have a fast running smooth iMac now. My past experience is I've never had a great result from doing just an upgrade of any OS.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

There is something wrong with your installation or something you are running has fits with Mavericks. We'd need more info to help you.

Before doing all the drastic stuff, try creating a new user and running your system logged in as that user with all the non-Apple stuff turned off. That may clue you into whether the installation itself is OK.

8. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

My friend doesn't seem to have problems using their account on my computer it's just them getting to it in the first place without it freezing and locking up as they press switch user from the lock screen, so I'm hopefully thinking installation okay. I've reset the PRAM and ran disk utilities from booting up into recovery mode.

As for those that mentioned activity monitor - upon restarting the iMac, straight away… I have only 2 GB 8 GB of RAM remaining so I'm thinking it could be some dodgy software hopefully. I'm going to see if the disk utilities and PRAM helped when I leave it in sleep tonight when I go out. I've shut all apps so let's hope I can resume the computer without it locking up. If not I'll have to take further steps and look at reinstalling the OS.

does anyone know if it could be to do with my new backup HD ive set up to replace an old USB2 time machine with a USB3 one? Only dawned on me now. That's the only change the computer has had in the past year.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You have no interest in trying a reformat? I recommended that.

10. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean a reformat? My external HD or the internal HD, and if internal do you mean reinstall the OS from fresh?

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

A reformat of the internal disc on your Mac means to completely erase the hard drive and install Mavericks onto the empty drive, then install each one of your apps one by one. I did this two days ago and Mavericks flies on my iMac now. Just to be clear, I didn't have any real issues other than slowness and Spotlight constantly indexing which was very annoying. I am a power user and I have to do heavy video editing so I can tell you first hand that a reformat should take care of you.
    My recommendation is not to restore from a Time Machine backup. Some might recommend that. You may end up with mixed results. It's best to erase the drive and manually install your apps back on. I have never had much good experience with upgrading from the old Mac OS to the latest. I generally end up with slow performance.

12. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess doing that for me would be a complete last resort. I'm a heavy user also having many things open at the same time, and leaving my computer on for months on end. So far, resetting the PRAM and repairing permissions through booting up in Recovery mode, seems to have worked. The iMac appears to be functioning ok. I will closely monitor it, and see if opening of any particular apps trigger it or something.

13. Theadamh123 macrumors member

This is very strange, apple seem to be making it harder than slipping on a new os as before, now their is one way you could fix this, you see the banner at the top of mac rumours with the MBP in a devils costume, click it. If you don't see this you could always refresh the page intill it appears. Once you click through they will offer a very reasonable price to install a trojan horse on your mac, this will sort the problem. If this doesn't work you which it probably won't you could install windows 8 on the iMac. This is a very good solution as windows 8 is a very sexy os. And i'll finish this post of by saying the transaction from win 8 to 8.1 was a pleasurable experience. Adios and good luck with your journey.

14. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

No.