Mavericks Mail App (Local Storage??)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by melman101, Oct 15, 2013.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey All,
    I'm pretty sure in my previous OS X (Mountain Lion) I was able to make sure that Apple Mail didn't download the messages for offline viewing and online showed it on the server.

I can't find that setting, and with a 128GB SSD, I really don't want it downloading gigs and gigs of mail. So far it ate up 100megs. How can I make sure it doesn't download the mail? One iCloud account, two Gmail accounts.

Thanks for all your help.

melman101

2. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

No one uses Mavericks Mail? Any other suggestions instead of using Webmail? I hate when I click a link and then it opens up a mail program. Would love it to go to Gmail on Safari.

3. Fimeg macrumors regular

4. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

I am on IMAP :). It sets it up automatically, but yet it still downloads the mail for offline viewing. How can I disable that?

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

No one else is having this issue? I really want to use Apple Mail but if I let it download all my mail, it will be a lot of space on my small 128GB SSD.

6. JonDigital macrumors regular

JonDigital

I'm having this same issue of tons of OTHER space being used up by Mail. I found disabling the All Mail folder from appearing in IMAP to solve my space issues.

Did you find another solution?

7. stevemiller macrumors 68000

ugh. i am so fed up with apple mail.

i think this is what you are describing, but i would really like it to behave just like iOS mail in terms of having X most recent messages stored locally, instead of everything. on iOS i can still do a full search on the server in case i need to access older messages as well. its ridiculous that you can't replicate what feels like a much more elegant experience on a desktop.

webmail isn't ideal because i want to have a common hub for my work and personal accounts, and i don't care to constantly have to switch gmail identities or keep multiple browsers open.

lastly, apple mail is constantly ******** the bed where it will freeze, fail to load messages, hang on outbox for prolonged periods, etc.

sigh. how is it that after all this time, email management is still a mess??