Mavericks Mail, Not Searching.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lammy1961, Feb 23, 2014.

1. lammy1961 macrumors member

Hello to all, great site.
    Now onto my problem.

My Mavericks Mail does not find any searches, but when I use Spotlight it will find the search I'm after.......This has only started since I upgraded to Mavericks.

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... (backup first just to be safe)

Quit Mail then open Finder and hit shift-command-g (all three keys at once) and paste in the path below then return.

Code:
    ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData
    In the folder that opens scroll down to find the three files called Envelope and delete them.

[​IMG]

Now restart Mail then select each folder one by one and click the Mailbox menu then Rebuild.

This should reindex everything.

3. lammy1961 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know how I got on.

4. lammy1961 thread starter macrumors member

I did exactly as you said Weaselboy.....However It's still the same ?
    I also installed the latest Mavericks update 10.9.2...Just the same as before.

Many thanks for the help.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... it seems to work fine for me.

So if you type something in the Search box at the top right of Mail app for a message you know is stored locally in a Mail folder is does not find it?

6. drew627, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

drew627 macrumors regular

Ran into the exact same problem a few months back. Tried literally every method I could find and yet it still couldn't be fixed. Had to do a clean install to get my in-app searches back.

My final conclusion was that it had something to do with Keychain because there was this console error message that nobody seemed to have mentioned anywhere (Googled it and its possible variants). I later found a post with a problem similar (vaguely) to mine and it was keychain related, and since creating a new user does obliterate the problem while reindexing, re-building, spotlight reindexing, and everything else you can think of, did not, I concluded that it was a user keychain problem. Best bet is to either create a new user or to reinstall completely (if your problem really is the same one that I encountered)

7. lammy1961 thread starter macrumors member

Yes that's correct, I can be looking at my last mail from Amazon and do a search....I get the message All Mailboxes (Found 0 matches for search)

----------

Thanks drew627

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Odd... I am out of ideas. :(

9. lammy1961 thread starter macrumors member

No problem....Thanks for all the help.

10. bxs macrumors 6502

Ensure your system is indexing via Spotlight. Do not exclude the disk in Spotlight's Privacy pane that holds your Mail.app data.

Mail.app's search relies on Spotlight indexing.

11. drew627 macrumors regular

His post said that spotlight was working fine and he could find the emails within spotlight.

12. flyingknifefrog macrumors newbie

Spotlight can search, In App can not. Rebuild and Reindex won't help. This is exactly the issue I met with.

I tried methods in <http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/ss/Troubleshooting-Apple-Mail-Using-Apple-Mails-Troubleshooting-Tools_3.htm> to enable logging. The script can run and Launch Mail, but no additional log is generated to Console, at least I did find any one.

It is really annoying, I really want to resolve this issue.

drew627, could you post the error message you seen on the console? where do you find it? 'System Log Queries'->'All Messages' ? could you help to share the Keychain related issue? Maybe I can get some clues.

13. drew627 macrumors regular

Alas, this happened to me during the beta and I didn't keep the logs!

This is my original post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1603768

A similar (not the same) mail bug on Apple Discussions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/24066877#24066877

Hope these could help

14. Peng Liu macrumors newbie

Hi Lammy,

I have exactly the same problem with you.
    The in-app search always find nothing, but spotlight works.

After a lot of try, I think it is KeyChain related.
    Our company have two mail servers, one is "excas" based on certificate authorisation, the other is based on webmail.
    Both server can be configured as Exchange mail server.
    When use the webmail server, the in-app search works fine.
    When use the certificate one, the in-app search does not work.
    Hope Apple can fix this.