Mavericks major crash

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by petemajor, Oct 26, 2013.

1. petemajor macrumors newbie

Guys

Starting to get a little worried now. Running Mountain Lion and Upgraded to OSX Mavericks about an hour ago. In the end, computer rebooted but could not finish installation because it claimed the HD was damaged and could not be fixed. Plus, computer was crashed and could not click anything.

•*Rebooted normally by holding down power button (only option) and rebooted normally but ended up on Mavericks start up with same notice (hd damaged) and computer crashed. Only mouse moves, no clicking anywhere
    •*Tried rebooting in safe mode, same thing happens
    •*Tried rebooting in mountain lion recovery mode and nothing new, computer totally blocked and cannot do anything.

I saw some posts of people having the same notice but seemed to go around it by fixing hd problems on disk utility or other stuff, but in my case i cannot go anywhere or do anything.

Anybody has a hint on what is going on and how to get around or am i in deep for a ride in the **** wagon?

thanks

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

So holding the cmd + R keys during reboot does nothing?

3. petemajor thread starter macrumors newbie

It goes into the recovery mode, and the panel opens up normally and all the options are there, but i just cannot click anything. mouse moves around but no selecting or clicking, not even in the top menu bars...

about to loose my mind.

thanks

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Can you navigate the recovery menu with keystrokes instead of the mouse?

5. petemajor thread starter macrumors newbie

i can scrool up and down the option using the arrow keys, but still cannot select one. enter does not do it.

thanks

6. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

You may need a bootable disk (usb, etc.) to be able to repair your boot drive.

7. petemajor thread starter macrumors newbie

but still i would have to format the hd and then get all my stuff back from the backups right?... cannot believe this

8. petemajor thread starter macrumors newbie

now rebooted again in normal mode and it's intalling normally - ETA 37 minutes... go figure this stuff out

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Good luck with this.

As I was downloading Mavericks the other day (from hotel wifi, just to certify that I'm an idiot), I decided to run Disk Utility, and it found errors. They were minor and readily repairable but required booting from the recovery partition.

So I aborted the Mavs download, booted into the recovery partition, and repaired the disk before resuming the upgrade.

Your experience makes me VERY glad that I did so. Failing to check disk integrity before upgrading is the one fate-tempting thing I didn't go ahead and do that night. Let us count them: Run a major update far from home, run a major update without an immediately-preceeding backup, run a major update without a backup handy just-in-case, run a major update when tired and not at my sharpest, run a major update off an unreliable and slow connection...

It all ended well for me (Murphy must have been off at a pub) but could well have resulted in a "teachable moment" on how not to do things!

Good luck. Glad you have a backup and that it's in the same time zone as your computer.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Just admit it. You were showing off that night at the hotel. There just wasn't anyone around to see. ;)

Glad disaster didn't strike you. I think many of us can attest to doing or attempting to do foolish things at one time or another in our life.

OP, I hope all goes well for you. Such is incredibly frustrating.

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I neglected to add to my list of fate-tempting idiocies: run a major update after having consumed two very large glasses of a very nice IPA from the microbrewery down the street... ;-)

That kind of explains the rest of my list, hm?

12. petemajor thread starter macrumors newbie

haha

guys thanks for all the helps and usefull tips. it always runs smoother if you got some method on what you're doing.

regarding my situation here... it all came down to divine intervention. i rebooted again for the 10th time, this time in normal mode, and osx mavericks just starting installing again like nothing happened. day started with a fearful journey down the lost-all-my-work road and ended up with a clean install. no explanations, no runarounds, no conclusions.

from the user point of view: whatever. it's all good.

thanks everyone