Mavericks maximize button behaviour?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by beautifulcoder, Jun 29, 2013.

1. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

The maximize button on Mountain Lion really kills the experience for me. Does anyone know if this 'issue' has been 'fixed' on Mavericks?

I guess, for me, I come from a PC tradition and have slight case of OCD, when I 'maximize' apps like Safari and Terminal on ML it misaligns the two windows by one or two pixels! And that's after dragging stuff around to get the stupid button to behave properly. I know, maybe just being petty but is Apple aware of this?

For me, it is annoying and unproductive to have to drag stuff around. I love iOS precisely because it takes that control away from me and makes me focus on the content. What do you all think?

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

The green button on Mac isn't a maximize button. What it does it it resizes the wondow to best fit the screen (though it usually doesn't work very well :p). That's how it's been since the first versions of OS X. I doubt it will be changed. If you want to "maximize", use the full screen button at the top right of the window.

3. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

The Zoom button is basically a UI relic at this point. If you want to replace Zoom with Windows-style Maximize, go download Right Zoom.

If you want Aero Snap, get BetterTouchTool or Moom (there are seriously at least 20 different tweaks that mimic Aero Snap for some reason - and almost all of them cost money. That's OS X developers for you)

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

As mentioned, there's nothing to fix. it's Apple's way of differentiating itself from MS. Actually, any good feature in Windows will never be included in OSX. (Personally, I miss the Alt-key menu bar activation).

Third party tools fill the gaps nicely though.

5. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

There's nothing to fix. Apple designed it to be this way. First, it's actually called the Zoom button. Second, it's designed to only enlarge the window to be large enough to show as much of the content as possible.

As for which is superior, no comment. I like Apple's way more, because OS X has better window management, thanks to Spaces/Mission Control, and doesn't have a task bar to rapidly switch between windows, so there really isn't a need to fully take up the screen space with a window, especially on a widescreen monitor.

If you are so obsessed with the way Windows work, get Right Zoom or Shift-click the Zoom button.

6. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

While I agree that there's nothing to fix and superiority is subjective, I don't think preferring to have a window take up the screen makes you "obsessed with the way Windows works". It doesn't matter how good OS X's window management is (and it is certainly great), sometimes I just want a program to take up the screen. Which is great because most apps these days have a full screen mode, and I don't mind manually dragging edges of the ones that don't.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

If you want to full screen an app there is the full screen button at the far right of the title bar.

8. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I know, that's what I meant when I said most apps have a full screen mode. Sorry for the confusion though! :D

9. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Derp... That was me misreading what you said. It is definitely a shift moving from Windows to Mac. Mostly because of the little things like this. In the end you will wither adjust and realize that you like it better, or you will find third party methods of mimicking the behavior you prefer.

10. Delta-NC macrumors member

Delta-NC

In this day and age "maximise" is a bit pointless. Most apps would be nothing but blank space. I use BetterSnapTool to get the windows style "snapping" because I think it's a great feature of Windows. You can set up BetterSnapTool to customise behaviour based on app. If I drag a window to the top it is full screen, if I drag Safari to the left edge I get a 70% sized Safari window. I fit other apps like Echofon or Skype in the other 30%. If I drag Safari to the right I get a 50% sized window. I can't recommend it enough. :)

11. metta macrumors newbie

Right Zoom runs in Maverick

You may want to delete the app 1st

Download it:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30591/right-zoom

DO NOT OPEN IT

Go to Sys preffs -

a- Go to security / general - allow apps from anywhere - make sure this is set

Open the APP it will take to this window:

b- Go to security / Privacy - check off box allow apps to control computer.

Now when it launches say open, check off box to activate and it works and will so at any login.

12. whatsupnow6 macrumors newbie

This works....Halleluia! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

13. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Most apps that YOU use, but not apps that I use. Tell that to someone who works in Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator on a daily basis.

14. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

False.

Apple designed it but not to everyone's liking which is why RightZoom was so popular until Apple canned the API in Yosemite (and El Capitan) and restricted any customization of it even with 3rd party apps.

If it works for you, that's fine. But please know that you are not a majority and others would like to have the OPTION to switch it's behaviour to their liking.

15. chabig macrumors 68040

While I agree there is nothing to fix, the behavior of this button is not intended to differentiate the Mac from a Windows machine. The Mac preceded Windows.