Mavericks Menu freezing

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mac(maybe), Aug 13, 2014.

1. mac(maybe) macrumors member

Dear forum users

I have a problem with Mavericks 10.9.4 on my Macbook Pro 13'' Mid 2010, with 1 TB 7200 RPM hard disk, and 8 GB Ram.

More or less once per day, while Outlook, Chrome, Word, Terminal, Skype and a few other applications are open, one of these applications starts showing the spinning wheel, and becomes unresponsive. Then the "force quit" window soon becomes unresponsive, and while the mouse still is active in some regions of the desktop, the terminal does not show the prompt anymore.
    Eventually, the clock on the menubar freezes, and at this point the only possibility is to force the shutdown with the power button.

Have you got any ideas how to monitor this problem, understand which app exactly is causing this?
    I have the impression that this happens more frequently when I have many applications open.

Thank you in advance for any feedback
    Daniel

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try doing a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to run a repair disk in the drive and see if that finds any errors.

You could also try a safe mode boot temporarily. That boots with a minimal setup and stop any startup or login items from running to eliminate those as a conflict. Does the problem still exist in sad mode?

This sounds a bit like a hard drive beginning to fail.

3. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

I will try. However, the hard drive is new, and the sata cable as well.

Thank you.