Mavericks not completely waking from sleep?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aaairsci, Oct 23, 2013.

1. aaairsci macrumors newbie

So I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue...

I put my computer to sleep last evening as I do everyday when I leave work. This morning when I went to wake it... it did something very bizarre. My computer woke up... kind of... sound started coming out from the radio station I listen to and I could see the mouse pointer on my screen (and move it)...but everything else was black. If I didn't move the mouse or touch a keyboard button at least every 5-10 seconds, my dual monitor display would shut off.

I had to do a hard restart before it would start working again.

As a note, I have a MacBook Pro Retina dual monitor setup with the other monitor (Samsung LED) as my main desktop.

2. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Same

I had the same thing happen. It only happened when Pages was open, though. I have since closed Pages, restarted, ran fsck (found and fixed an error related to unused blocks), and left my computer unattended for an hour. When I returned it woke from sleep fine.

I'm on a MacBook Air that's about 4 mos. old.

3. aaairsci thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm I don't have Pages... and fsck came out okay.

Ironically, my MBPR is about the same age.

4. edgedj macrumors newbie

I'm running a MacBookAir5,2 with 8GB ram and the 500GB SSD and have this issue. The machine does not wake from sleep. I get a black screen where I can see a ghost of the login box but can't key in my pwd, it's completely locked up and only a hard reset gets it going again.

I'm running VMs using Fusion 6.0.1 and this is a really big problem because those machines don't shut down or suspend nicely and I'm going to get a failure soon.

To work around this I've had to stop my mac from going to sleep.

Cheers
    Dave

5. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I have the same thing happening here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1668274

So far the following have seemed to work, all of which are a pain to do...
    Unplug all peripheral devices. For me its a USB hub with multiple external HDD and a separate USB HDD for my iTunes library.

I called apple today and they said having all the USB's should not prevent it from waking from sleep. But I get two black screens and I can see the mouse cursor moving and thats it. Only way for me is a hard reset too. I was going to return to BBY, but I guess this is a Mavericks issue and not a hardware problem?

6. chrispx macrumors newbie

Avast?

I was having the same issue, but no longer. I removed Avast and think it may have been responsible for my Mac mini not waking from sleep. However, it is possible I removed or updated another application which was causing the conflict.