Mavericks not showing all dock folder contents

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mikebatho, May 22, 2014.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

I changed up to Mavs from Snow Leopard today and I'm not liking what I'm finding. At all.

When I click on any of my folders in the side dock, the window that opens has no scroll bar at the side for me to get down to the items out of sight. So now I have to go in through Macintosh HD, sidebar to access all of the items in my applications folder.

It's made the concept of placing folders which I use frequently in the doc redundant (unless I wish to access only the upper items in these folders).

Is this a thing? Have I made a terrible mistake? :(

2. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

They are set to disappear by default. Go to System Preferences -> General and set it as below:

General 2014-05-22 21-31-53 2014-05-22 21-32-05.jpg

This will make it appear and stay visible.

3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks! :)

4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Couple of other issues. Can I no longer have a title bar at the bottom on any open windows, showing how much free space I have?

Also, I have a lot of friends on PC but I'm keep to use the MESSAGES app, what would then need at their end to be able to message me?

Thanks.

5. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Open Finder (any window), click View on the Menu Bar, then "Show Status Bar."

6. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahhhhh.... there we go :D Thx

7. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, there's now a little weird menu button at the far right of my top toolbar, where the time and bluetooth icons are. When I click on it my whole screen shifts left and it has some useless info about recent activity there. I'd like to get rid of this. Is there somewhere I can edit this menu bar?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you referring to the Notification Center menu item to the right of my screenshot?

[​IMG]

You can disable it following this guide.

9. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cooool! That's the one. I'd found a similar fix earlier but when I added it into Terminal it kept asking fo ra password and wouldn't let me enter the second piece of code. This worked like a charm though, cheers!

Little by little it's starting to look how I want it again. Guess there was quite a jump from Snow Leopard to Mavs, if I'd have gone Lion, Mtn Lion along the way I'd probably got used to the changes along the way... ;)

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Terminal doesn't show keystrokes when entering your password.