Mavericks not switching to discrete graphics

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by andy318, Oct 12, 2013.

1. andy318 macrumors member

I'm running Mavericks GM on my 15" rMBP and see that the OS is not switching to discrete graphics as much as Mountain Lion used to.

These are cases where the laptop is plugged in to a power outlet.
    1. When running Facebook in Chrome the graphics card does not switch.

2. I launch Windows in Parallels 8 and start up a game and the card still doesn't switch.

In 10.8.5 i noticed the discrete card was in use most of the time when the laptop was connected to a power source.

Anyone know if there is a setting to change this behavior? Do other folks observe this difference too?

2. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

This sounds like a positive development. Under 10.8.5 a lot of apps that did not require the discrete graphics card used to trigger its use. For example VLC used to trigger the discrete card by just opening the app (something that was not required), under Mavericks it does not. Most likely, Mavericks probably has a more advanced algorithm which determines weather to trigger the card or not, in order to maximize battery life. Parallels is a tricky scenario due to gaming. Most likely it can be fixed by an Parallels update or a setting in the Parallels preferences which automatically triggers the discrete card when the VM is launched.