Mavericks on 2011 MBP: slower and less battery life?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JayDH, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JayDH macrumors 6502

I've got an early-2011 15" MBP. Just installed Mavericks this afternoon and gave it a few hours to settle down (download mail, index, etc.).

It's SLOW. Taking quite some time for apps to launch. There's a 1-2 second delay when using Messages to chat. Word takes 5-10 seconds to start. Things were much faster yesterday!

In addition, I just got the battery replaced on this machine. I was getting 7-8 hours during light usage. Now, with the display dimmed and only light apps runnings, I am getting an estimated 6 hours.

Overall, fairly disappointed. Anyone else having these problems?

2. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

1) Is Spotlight still indexing?
    2) Do you see anything weird when clicking the battery icon on the menu bar? (applications consuming too much energy)
    3) Anything weird in Activity Monitor?

3. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a kernal_task occupying almost 500MB of memory. Other than that, the system seems quit right now. Spotlight looks to be finished indexing and there aren't any applications listed in the battery dropdown.

4. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

I have a late 2011 15" MBP and mine is flying. Did it fully optimize? I had a warning at the beginning on both my MBP and my iMac that it would take time to optimize performance. Maybe thats also the process you're seeing?

5. JayDH thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, I didn't pay close attention during the install and I didn't see that message. Maybe that is what is going on. It does seem to be slowly improving. I'll let it run overnight and then see in the morning.