Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Just curious if anyone with a 2012 13" base rMBP has upgraded to Mavericks yet today and if it fixed the scrolling stuttering issue. Thanks!

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Been using Mavericks since DP 5 and I can say that performance is much improved in Safari. I can say that I no longer have issues with scrolling lag in the UI.

Chrome still sux but if you have an iPhone I would suggest using safari for sync anyway.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I just upgraded to Mavericks on my base rMBP 13".

It was already pretty smooth with the recent versions of Safari on Mountain Lion, but Mavericks is even smoother still.

The GUI window animations seem smoother as well. Particularly apps that weren't optimized for retina like Sublime Text 2.

Overall a very pleasant upgrade so far, and now I'm honestly not as inclined to upgrade to the Haswell version as I used to be. :)

I even wound up with exactly the same free space on my SSD that I had before the upgrade!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Interesting. Thanks for your responses! With the 2012 price dropping, just thinking of getting that one instead IF that choppy scrolling is fixed. I had one for a little while and it drove me nuts. I ran usually at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 too though.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Has anyone run the new Mavericks release on the 2012 13" base rMBP at 1680x1050 yet? The smoothness really may be the deal-maker for me to upgrade from my 2013 base 13" MBA.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Has anyone run the new Mavericks release on the 2012 13" base rMBP at 1680x1050 yet? The smoothness really may be the deal-maker for me to upgrade from my 2013 base 13" MBA.

Just tried that. Safari seems to scroll OK but maybe no better than it did in ML. The UI overall is much smoother than ML when in "best for retina" mode.

Oddly enough, when running in scaled modes (1680x1050) some of the UI animations seem worse than ML. :mad: Specifically the Mission Control animations and transitions between spaces. I think that could easily be addressed in a patch release, because these animations are noticeably choppier now whereas ML did OK even in the scaled resolutions.

One thing I did notice is that "1920x1080" now appears as a scaled resolution under Quickres, I don't recall that being there before. But it letterboxes the screen (black bars on top/bottom).

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
It's super smooth compared to 10.8 on my wife's 2012 rMBP 13. She can finally zoom in on her Facebook page and it's still smooth. Something that ML was never able to do as any kind of zooming would make her safari pages extremely choppy. Chrome is still as crappy as it was on ML though. What's infuriating is that it took a year for Apple to get it right after the release of the rMBP 13.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
OK this is getting strange now.

Even in "best for retina" mode now Mission Control seems choppy. That is bizarre, because that's the first thing I checked for yesterday and it was much smoother than ML, and I even opened a bunch of apps as a Mission Control torture test. I was thinking "yay now I don't have to buy a new one!"

But now its choppy and nothing has apparently changed on the system.

No other background tasks running and Spotlight has finished indexing. What changed between last night and this morning??

----------

Oh, one thing that is different now is that I'm running on battery whereas yesterday I was plugged in.

I would plug it in to AC and try it now, except the cleaning crew evidently caught the vacuum cleaner on my 60W power supply and yanked the power cord clean out of the brick. I'm not spending freaking $80 on a new power supply. :mad::mad::mad:

winstonwolf69

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have an i7 2.9GHZ 13" rmbp. Just got mavericks on and it appears to be be smoother than ML even running 1680 scaled mode.

Didn't really have a problem with the lag, but it is quite a bit smoother.

Cheers

questioner76

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
I have the 15" rmbp and Mavericks is running a lot smoother than ML was. I connect two monitors to it and performance is dramatically improved. Almost feels like a new computer! I also love the new full screen feature for individual monitors, while still being able to use the other monitors.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I want to run scaled also but on my 15 rMBP seems to lag in the UI on mavericks which is quite annoying

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I want to run scaled also but on my 15 rMBP seems to lag in the UI on mavericks which is quite annoying

Weird...I run mine @ 1920x1200 scaled 100% of the time now---nothing, no lag, no frame drops, nothing---animations are smooth as silk....and this on the iGPU. I just went through the 'known perpetrators'. Facebook, Ars, TechCrunch and the like. Like silk!!! Pretty amazing performance....and my 15" has been on and running at about 75% brightness since 4:50am. It's 10:06am in my neck of the woods...38% battery remaining. I'm more than happy with this update and significantly less inclined to buy the 'new' model right away

For your info---mine is the 2012---2.7/16/768 machine. Love. It!

Looking very, VERY forward to the new Mac Pro though;)

J

PS---Quick edit, it does look like TechCrunch has been 're' coded for optimum or better performance. It's very noticeable....as well, I'm floored how fast the iGPU flies through Facebook. Pretty awesome improvement. Not sure why some of these nightlies weren't included in point updates with Mountain Lion---possibly saved for this moment in time, the inevitable upgrade:)
This should be indicative of the performance of the 2012/early '13 13" rMBP as well, as it's using the same iGPU. I've yet to switch to dGPU this morning for surfing, emailing and several documents....as I wanted to run the battery down, check it's life----doing what I do each day, gauge any performance increases in energy. So far, so good!

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Weird...I run mine @ 1920x1200 scaled 100% of the time now---nothing, no lag, no frame drops, nothing---animations are smooth as silk....and this on the iGPU. I just went through the 'known perpetrators'. Facebook, Ars, TechCrunch and the like. Like silk!!! Pretty amazing performance....and my 15" has been on and running at about 75% brightness since 4:50am. It's 10:06am in my neck of the woods...38% battery remaining. I'm more than happy with this update and significantly less inclined to buy the 'new' model right away

For your info---mine is the 2012---2.7/16/768 machine. Love. It!

Looking very, VERY forward to the new Mac Pro though;)

J

Hmm you do have a higher ram and clock speed as me but I know from knowledge that it doesn't matter. Maybe I need to let it settle and perhaps restart my macbook.

And yes the Mac Pro does look wonderful. Maybe one of these years I can afford one lol

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
What choice do you have?

Try eBay, though. You can find a genuine Apple power supply used for much cheaper.

Or maybe I'll just get a new macbook after all. :p
In the meantime I have my old power brick at home with the little magsafe adapter, which I'll have to drag back and forth to work now.

Seriously though, I'm going to see if I can fix this; I found a replacement magsafe cable (just the cable) for $18 on Amazon, and found a site with instructions for prying open the brick and soldering in the new cable. I'm not uncomfortable with a soldering iron so it's worth a shot. I'm going to pry it open tonight to see if there's any other damage, hopefully the old wires were just ripped cleanly out.

Apparently a lot of people have been doing this to replace their frayed cables, but it should be the same for cables that got sucked up into a vacuum cleaner...

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
On my 2012 15" rmbp, Safari has improved vastly vs ML. There's still some lag, but it's much more subtle no matter what mode you're operating in.

Unfortunately, the UI animations are absolutely terrible in anything else than best for retina. The lag is just unbearable in scaled. Frankly, I wish I had stayed on ML. The machine was much more usable overall.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Unfortunately, the UI animations are absolutely terrible in anything else than best for retina. The lag is just unbearable in scaled. Frankly, I wish I had stayed on ML. The machine was much more usable overall.

That's been my observation. It clearly points to a software issue though.

Here is what is BETTER under Mavericks: Safari scrolling, *most* window animations/transitions in "best for retina" mode, except if any windows are transparent -- then it's WORSE than Mountain Lion. Just having my transparent iTerm window open causes a lot of choppiness in Mission Control that I didn't have before.

Here is what is WORSE: all UI animations / transitions are far WORSE in scaled modes! But scrolling within apps is still smooth.

Oh well I guess that's what you get for installing a ".0" release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.