Mavericks on iMac7,1

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Boyd01, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

So I was thinking of giving my daughter's family a new Mac for Christmas, but this just wasn't the right time financially. Their old machine is an iMac7,1 Core2 Duo 2.0 ghz with 2gb RAM running 10.5.8.

I got a copy of 10.6 from the Apple Store and my Son in Law installed it today - he reports that the machine already feels faster (also gave them an external disk and he archived a lot of stuff there - the internal 250GB drive was down to only 2gb free space!

So does it make sense to go any further than 10.6 on this old machine? I don't think it's worth spending "real money" to upgrade anything. Looks like we could upgrade RAM to 4GB for about $60 - that might be worth considering. But a 6gb upgrade is over $100 and I don't think that's worth it.

They just do really basic home stuff with that machine and are happy that 10.6 gives them the app store for games for their 4 year old daughter.

So within a year, this machine is due for replacement regardless. Our inclination is to just leave it at 10.6 but I'd be interested in any other experiences. Is a 2GB machine workable with Mavericks?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i bought my friends old Mid 2007 iMac running those same specs, only with 4 GB RAM. it runs Mavericks perfectly fine. I actually bought it with only 3GB of RAM but just swapped one of its 1GB chips out for a 2GB. i would say go for it. it ran fine with only 3GB, but for the few extra bucks give it some more room with the 4GB. i dont do anything crazy with the machine, but for everyday use (browsing, notes, calendar, pages and numbers) it works just fine.

3. Boyd01 thread starter macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Thanks - that's good to know. For the time being, I think they are planning to stay with 10.6.