Mavericks on iMac7,1

Boyd01

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
So I was thinking of giving my daughter's family a new Mac for Christmas, but this just wasn't the right time financially. Their old machine is an iMac7,1 Core2 Duo 2.0 ghz with 2gb RAM running 10.5.8.

I got a copy of 10.6 from the Apple Store and my Son in Law installed it today - he reports that the machine already feels faster (also gave them an external disk and he archived a lot of stuff there - the internal 250GB drive was down to only 2gb free space!

So does it make sense to go any further than 10.6 on this old machine? I don't think it's worth spending "real money" to upgrade anything. Looks like we could upgrade RAM to 4GB for about $60 - that might be worth considering. But a 6gb upgrade is over $100 and I don't think that's worth it.

They just do really basic home stuff with that machine and are happy that 10.6 gives them the app store for games for their 4 year old daughter.

So within a year, this machine is due for replacement regardless. Our inclination is to just leave it at 10.6 but I'd be interested in any other experiences. Is a 2GB machine workable with Mavericks?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i bought my friends old Mid 2007 iMac running those same specs, only with 4 GB RAM. it runs Mavericks perfectly fine. I actually bought it with only 3GB of RAM but just swapped one of its 1GB chips out for a 2GB. i would say go for it. it ran fine with only 3GB, but for the few extra bucks give it some more room with the 4GB. i dont do anything crazy with the machine, but for everyday use (browsing, notes, calendar, pages and numbers) it works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.