Mavericks or Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zacster98, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Zacster98 macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I have a 15" 2012 Macbook Pro (regular, not retina) with a slight issue.

As part of my weekly Mac maintenance, I run a disk utility permissions and verification scan on my internal hard drive (750gb Seagate Momentus XT). After upgrading to Mavericks, I noticed that after I while my disk had errors. They were all incorrect block counts, for different files.

Thinking it was a software issue as a result of the upgrade, I reinstalled from scratch. Though I still received those errors sometimes upon a disk scan, there were no other consequences. However recently, there has been a few beach balls here and there, so I ran another disk scan. Lo and behold, another incorrect block count. The SMART status is verified, and otherwise it runs well without any unusual noises.

So, is it likely to be Mavericks or my hard drive?

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Keep a good backup, your hard drive could very well be on the way out.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your drive is dying. I would replace it now before it gives out completely.

Hopefully you have a good backup.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

There are a lot of tools out there to diagnose HDD's, but one simple program out there is SMART Utility. It can be purchased, but you're really only going to need the trial to open it once. It goes much further than OS X's SMART status. It may show you some sectors going bad and the drive failing. I'd start there.

5. Zacster98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the SMART utility software. It reports no errors as far as I can see, but I have attached the screenshot of the results just in case I missed something.

I also ran disk utility again today, and it gave an 'invalid free block count' error. :mad:

Thanks for the help so far! :)

Attached Files:

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Personally I wouldn't rely on smart to give you a heads up. More often than not it's to late.

7. Zacster98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a definite way to check if it is failing then? The drive wasn't cheap as it is pretty high end, and I don't want to replace it on a whim.

If it has failed, Seagate will be getting contacted! The drive is only just over a year old.