Mavericks performance on slightly older machines?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Supernerd, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Supernerd macrumors member

I have a 2009 iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb DDR3, and GeForce GT 120. It's not great by today's standards. I was wondering if Mavericks decreases performance in any way, and if it will still run as fast as Snow Leopard.

2. Appledict macrumors member

Appledict

I have 2010 i5 MacBook Pro, I installed first GM and I can tell I didn't see any
    speed differences between ML and mavericks. But battery life is definitely much better.

3. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I have a baseline 13" mid 2010 MBP. Mavericks runs very smoothly, have not really had a chance to check whether the battery life is longer.

4. iChillax macrumors regular

iChillax

We've got the same computer probably. Would love to know how it runs. I'm in the process of getting it right now :D

5. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

To find out which Model you have do the following:

1. Press the :apple: logo on the top right of the screen.
    2. Select About This Mac
    3. Select More Info....
    4. You will get a screen which says you have a iMac/ MBP ... and just below will say your exact model

6. spiralynth macrumors regular

Not speaking from direct experience here, but I would think if you upped your RAM to 8GB, you should be golden. But again, this is just a guess.

7. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

I'm running it on my 2009 MBP with 2.66 GHz C2D and 8GB RAM, and its a dream! My MBP was already pretty darn fast since I take good care of it, in fact its usually snappier than my 2011 i5 iMac funnily enough.

Since installing Mavericks, animations seem a lot more smooth and apps are more quick to respond. I have yet to see a single beach ball and I've been using it for around 3 hours. I've run a ton of apps and seen almost no slow down at all. It tends to run cooler than ML too, with general CPU temp below 50 degrees when using finder, safari, mail and a few other apps.

Everything just seems more smooth and snappy, and its all very fast. I literally have no reason to upgrade my laptop any time soon.

8. ansirone macrumors regular

ansirone

2.26 ghz MBP 13

i have 13 2.26 2009 mbp that i have installed mavericks on. it feels very sluggish and sometimes just hangs and freezes in certain cases.

I'm looking into getting an SSD for but just wondering if its worth doing the upgrade if it'll still act sluggish.

I've also did the upgrade jump from snow leopard to lion and did not do a fresh install, would that be a factor as well?

9. stooovie macrumors 6502a

It wont feel sluggish. SSD is the single best upgrade you can buy for your computer. Not even more RAM makes such a world of difference. 2009 computer is more than fine for everyday use.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I have a 2007 15" mbp with only 2gb ram. Runs fine.

11. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Running well on my late 2007 iMac with 4GB ram ... I'm not sure if it is slower than when it had SL, I'm used to SSD drives now and so the iMac is of course slower to load things than my new MBPr, but it isn't badly slow.

12. Parsec macrumors member

MBP 17" 2007 model

Core 2 Duo
    3 Gb RAM
    160 Gb 5400 rpm drive
    nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 Mb RAM

It runs, but it runs slower than Mountain Lion. Mainly a lot of hard-disk activity. The active program runs smooth, but switching between or starting programs may be somewhat slower or much slower, depending on what I have running in the background.

All of this is still workable though.

13. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Parsec, your 17" 2007 MBP would do very well with an SSD upgrade. An SSD gave my 15" 2007 MBP a new lease of life.

Replying to the OP: Mavericks has run great for me on my 2007 MBP (with SSD ;)

14. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I installed 10.9 on a 2009 Mac Pro (2.66GHz quad/24GB RAM/512GB SSD) and it basically flies. I thought it a bit faster than 10.85. I also installed on a late 2007 iMac (2.8GHz Coreduo/4GB RAM) and it's pretty pokey. I should have left it on Lion as it performed well but I wanted everything to sync smoothing between my 3 Macs. I'm guessing it needs more RAM and SSD but it ain't worth upgrading this late in its life.

15. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I would just back everything up (the entire drive) on an external, then do the install clean. If it doesn't please you, then just restore from the backup. Nothing lost but a little time.