Mavericks - PRAM or SMC reset and now problems - no wifi without VPN

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by TitusVorenus, Jul 27, 2014.

1. TitusVorenus macrumors member

Running a mid 2011 MacbookPro, 10.6.8. I created a second partition and installed the latest Mavericks downloaded from the app store.

Initially I came across a problem where the wifi would not turn on again after sleep. I followed the list of recommended steps, including:

-Deleting system pref folder and turning bluetooth off
    -PRAM reset
    -SMC reset
    -disabled wake for wifi access

Finally turned off sleep for a permanent remedy. But now the problem, which is affecting both the 10.6.8 partition and the mavericks partition.

My browsers will only connect to the internet while the VPN is connected. I monitor the connection with LittleSnitch and there are no outgoing connection attempts from the browser when the VPN is disconnected. However skype can still make calls.

I did a complete uninstall of the VPN client but there is no change.

I also developed a problem with my second display, when I start the computer the second display has a bunch of jibberish on it until I unplug it and plug it in again - which only affects 10.6.8, not mavericks.

I'm not sure what the PRAM & SMC reset did. Is there any way to return it to prior? I did make a disc image of the hard drive before creating the partition and installing mavericks.

2. TitusVorenus thread starter macrumors member

3. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I think the problem is step 1 above, not sure credibility of your source suggesting step no. 1. Sorry not helping you to solve the problem. Reinstall the OS might be the solution.

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

ya, reinstall always seems to be the key...

particularity since you have an image already....

5. TitusVorenus thread starter macrumors member

Well that stinks. Guess I'll give it a go over the weekend...