Mavericks - Presistent Logout Fail

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by eyebex, Oct 24, 2013.

1. eyebex, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

eyebex macrumors member

Since my "upgrade" to Mavericks yesterday, I am unable to log out of the computer. More detailed symptoms include:

- if I try to log out when any apps are running the computer hangs for several seconds, up to about a minute or two, then reports that logout failed because any one of the applications failed to quit. This happens with Safari, Garage Band, and other standard software

- menu bar is not present at this point and most applications on the launch pad do not respond if when I click them

- I can sometimes launch activity monitor but it won't let me quit or force-quit any of the running apps

- this happens when logged in with any account (admin, regular user, guest)

- this happens every time I try to log out

- none of these issues were present before upgrade to Mavericks and I have made no other changes to the computer since installing Mavericks

Has anyone experienced this type of issue. Fixes?

Thanks
    Dec 2012 21.5" iMac, fusion drive, 8GB ram

2. dpn48312 macrumors newbie

slow shutdown

I have not upgraded to Mavericks yet, but I began experiencing the same thing after upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion. After several weeks of correspondence and phone time with Apple engineers, exchanging test info, etc. -- far more intensive that the usual support call, the conclusion (or guess) was that there was apparently some conflict in some setting buried deep in my preferences folders (but we don't know where), especially because my current setup includes everything migrated to my MBA from an older MacBook that had started with 10.4 and was updated over the years without ever a clean new install -- accomplished using Time Machine.

The recommended solution was to wipe clean, reinstall the OS, and not migrate settings. I have opted so far not to invest the time and effort to do this. I just live with it being slow to shut down... but with my MBA, I don't feel the need to shut it down nearly as often either -- maybe once a week or even less.

The longer I go between reboots, the longer it takes to shut down. On the other hand, when I am in a hurry and force a shutdown by holding down the power key, I don't notice any ill effects on next startup, so I don't hesitate to do that either.

3. eyebex, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

eyebex thread starter macrumors member

After playing around for some time I was unable to fix the problem.

I ended up doing a clean install and all is working well so far.