Mavericks re-install query...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cactus jumper, Oct 18, 2014.

1. cactus jumper macrumors newbie

I have a Late 2012 2.5ghz i5 Mac mini running Mavericks 10.9.5.

It was full of rubbish/old files and software etc. so I decided to wipe it and do a fresh/clean install (via my wireless connection), following the steps as shown below:

[​IMG]

All worked fine and the new install started but showed it would take 40+ hours to 'download components' after which it would restart and finish the Mavericks install. I quit the installation - to try again/resume when more convenient - and shut down the mini.

When turning the mini on today, on start up I see a pale grey screen with a folder icon with a question mark: no surprise as obviously there is no OS on the machine.

How do I get the OS back on the mini?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try to boot back into the recovery partition?

Sounds like the install failed and or the computer crashed.

3. cactus jumper thread starter macrumors newbie

The install didn't fail and the mini didn't crash - I cancelled the install as it was going to take 40+ hours. Before I cancelled, there was a message saying I could resume late - but presumably only if the mini was left turned on - stupidly(!) I turned it off.

''Did you try to boot back into the recovery partition?''

There is nothing/no OS on the mini at present...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just command-option-r boot again and repeat the process of erasing the entire disk and then the download/install. That will wipe the partial install you did and get you a fresh start.